What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

D10A to G5 Upgrade path

Has anyone replaced a Dynon D10A cockpit with Garmin G5s? We currently have a classic 6 pack but with dual D10A instead of AI/HSI and are looking to upgrade the D10As to G5s. Autopilot is a Trutrak 385 which we’re happy with (though upgrading to the Garmin AP is appealing for coupled ILS approaches through the G5 which I don’t believe the TT can be configured to fly). GPS is a 430W and we’re not looking to upgrade that.

Looking for advice on cost/complexity/was it worth it?

Some TT will

Has anyone replaced a Dynon D10A cockpit with Garmin G5s? We currently have a classic 6 pack but with dual D10A instead of AI/HSI and are looking to upgrade the D10As to G5s. Autopilot is a Trutrak 385 which we’re happy with (though upgrading to the Garmin AP is appealing for coupled ILS approaches through the G5 which I don’t believe the TT can be configured to fly). GPS is a 430W and we’re not looking to upgrade that.

Looking for advice on cost/complexity/was it worth it?

GNS430W + 2 x G5 is what I had before I did my panel upgrade a couple of years ago.

The G5's are canbus devices. To make them communicate with the 430W system you need a Garmin GAD 29 ARINC adaptor and a spare ARINC 429 port on the 430W. That'll give you HSI functionality, pass through baro, IAS and OAT data from the G5, and a variety of other bits of integration you'll enjoy. You probably want to include a GMU 11 magnetometer to get magnetic heading instead of GPS track, too.

One deficiency is that the TruTrak 385 doesn't have a HDG mode (it gives you GPSS/TRK or GPS-NAV) so the heading bug on the G5 doesn't work. The installation manual corresponding to later versions describes how you can fit a switch on your panel to choose whether the ARINC port on the autopilot control head is connected to the GNS430W or the G5. If it's connected to the 430W, NAV mode on the autopilot will follow your flight plan in the usual way. If you flip the switch to select G5, NAV mode on the autopilot will follow the G5 heading bug. It's a kludge, but it works.

The G5's are also autopilot control heads for Garmin servos, so you might want to consider replacing the pitch and roll servos with GSA 28's (they fit the geometry and hole positions of the TruTrak mounts perfectly - minimal fuss), and acquiring a GMC 507. That'll give you the full set of lateral and vertical modes, integration with the GNS for coupled approaches, and a flight director.

The TruTrak product has a pretty good reputation, and the servos and control heads are fetching pretty respectable prices on eBay, which might offset much of the conversion cost if you choose that path.

- mark

Last edited:
Back