What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cutaway RV Drawing

As someone who as actually produced a commissioned print, I can say that there's a reason the term "starving artist" came into being. If an artist actually received compensation for the time invested at even minimum wage, limited production runs would end up being prohibitively expensive. OK, Nina can bump the print cost by $20 and lower shipping by the same and that still works for me (I really like the -7 print I just received).

Unfortunately in aviation (or other areas) we really want something for the lowest price and we're sometimes unwilling to appreciate what goes into a given product.

benefit of a community forum

it is good to have the benefit of a community forum like this. through this discussion many details and
perspectives have been captured that give a broader perspective.

the vendor received alert to an error in rendering the canopy that was corrected before printing, details of the
paper, its look and presentation, and the thoughts behind the choices have been made available, unusual shipping
costs have been revealed and will likely be appropriately allocated in the future.

this is the sort of thing that makes a community forum so useful.

Thank you and pricing

Thanks to everyone who responded on our behalf. Like I said before, we love hearing nice things about Tom?s work and I enjoy the nice customer service comments. Although criticism is welcomed ? it?s not especially enjoyed. But it is clear from everyone?s comments that our pricing structure needs correction.

Also thank you Stephen for your gracious response and for adamantly bringing the problem to our attention in the first place - like I said, not pleasant to hear, but we did hear you.

Tom comes from a commercial art world where projects are one-off. One customer ? one print ? one check. Quite frankly, we had no idea what we were getting into when agreeing to do the RV commissioned work. We were quickly overwhelmed by the administration of the project and realized we had drastically underestimated the ?handling? in the ?shipping and handling? charges. So, being na?ve, we increased the handling charges to be more realistic. What can I say ? that didn?t go very well.

Recommended pricing, in the art world, for a 24x36 giclee print is between $350 - $850. We weren?t trying to make a killing and we felt if we kept the price way low, more people would be able to enjoy the print and we would be okay with higher volume. Tom way under-estimated the time each illustration would take and the volume hasn?t been forthcoming. But Tom really loves what he is doing, and we?re both enjoying working with all of you - so he?s still at it.

Tom and I will focus on our cost structure after he gets the -7 and -7A slider illustrations released and shipped. The new cost structure will necessarily result in a price increase on all prints for all models, to more realistically cover the time it takes to produce an illustration and the administration and handling in a small shop like ours. The shipping charges will no longer include ?handling? and will be lowered to include only a flat postage fee and packaging. In the event the overall price (print plus shipping) ends up increasing, we will honor current pricing for any orders received prior to the new pricing being announced.

Tom and I both truly enjoy working with the RV community and regret that our pricing structure was at the center of such a riff. We look forward to an on-going relationship with all of you and hope to be able to embark on another RV project once the -7 series project and a few custom orders are completed. Although still not enough orders for a project, the 9 series is picking up momentum and the -6's have some interest as well.

To Stephen ? if you want to return your print, please send us an email at [email protected] and we will give you instructions for returning it and receiving a refund.

Nina

it is good to have the benefit of a community forum like this. through this discussion many details and
perspectives have been captured that give a broader perspective.

the vendor received alert to an error in rendering the canopy that was corrected before printing, details of the
paper, its look and presentation, and the thoughts behind the choices have been made available, unusual shipping
costs have been revealed and will likely be appropriately allocated in the future.

this is the sort of thing that makes a community forum so useful.

in the end i was charged 560% over the actual shipping cost of 5.70. not cool.

charge whatever you want for your product but shifting product costs to shipping is foul.

i want a refund.

I agree, it is useful. But the way you essentially attacked them (Tom & Nina) on this public forum was tasteless, as if they were purposely trying to screw you over. I have nothing against you nor do I know you but if you are truly that unhappy send them a PM and I'm sure they would refund your money, because you certainly seem to be in the minority on this.

Got mine

Just got my 7A tip-up prints. Very, very nice! The print quality is impressive, and Tom's artwork is outstanding.

An interesting thing to note is that I purchased a limited edition giclee print (for my living room) as well as a standard print (for the hangar), and so it's interesting to compare the two prints side by side. They both look terrific. To my surprise, I actually can't see a difference in sharpness between the two. The resolution is so high and the registration so tight that I'd have to put them under a microscope to compare sharpness (which I have no intention of doing). The only clearly visible difference that I can point to is color. The colors in the giclee print appear to have higher saturation than the standard print, and so aesthetically the giclee has a somewhat deeper, bolder, more vibrant appearance. Having said that, again, both prints look great. And the difference, even side by side, is actually pretty subtle (at least to my eyes).

Thanks again, Tom and Nina, from a very satisfied customer.

-Roee

Received my print today, the giclee version, and it looks super sharp.

Now I just need to save a bundle to go get it framed

How about the 6 now?

Hi folks. You used my buddy Dan's 8 out here at Parkside for a photo shoot. I have seen his print and your stock print and they are fascinating and fun to look at. If you would consider doing the 6 at some point, you are welcome to come out to Parkside again and go over my 6.
The 6 may present more of a market than the other models as more of those have been built by far than any other model. But of course, most of us 6 owners are old school, cheap and crusty, so that might balance things out! HA!
The 6 was not CAD designed, all hand drafted. Not sure how much you guys import from Van's, so the 6 project might be more development than its worth at any price.
Regardless, beautiful work and well worth the price for such a fine print.

RV-6 Cutaway Project

Hi folks. You used my buddy Dan's 8 out here at Parkside for a photo shoot. I have seen his print and your stock print and they are fascinating and fun to look at. If you would consider doing the 6 at some point, you are welcome to come out to Parkside again and go over my 6.
The 6 may present more of a market than the other models as more of those have been built by far than any other model. But of course, most of us 6 owners are old school, cheap and crusty, so that might balance things out! HA!
The 6 was not CAD designed, all hand drafted. Not sure how much you guys import from Van's, so the 6 project might be more development than its worth at any price.
Regardless, beautiful work and well worth the price for such a fine print.

Hi Jonjay,

Thanks for the invite. If the interest picks up on the -6, I'll take you up on that.

BTW, all of the RV cutaways were done without the luxury of any CAD data from Van's. I worked in 2 dimensions on all of them using the same plans you use for building the real thing plus hundreds of photos as reference I shot myself. Ask Dan, I wore a grove around his plane over the several days that I analyzed it.

Tom

RV-7 Slider Cutaway Completed!

Hi Group,

The RV-7 slider version cutaway has just been released. If you placed an order, you will receive a Paypal invoice shortly. If you think you placed an order and have not received an acknowledgement from us, we don't have your order. If you would like to order a print, send an e-mail to us at: [email protected] or call: 503-954-3732. Looking forward to coverting this image to the -7A slider version.

Cheers, Tom
rv7layerssliderweb1.jpg

Missing Detail

OK Tom -
That makes two in a row with no duckie and no chicken.
What gives?

duckie/chicken vote

The response was mixed on the ducky and rubber chicken. If I get enough votes, I can put them back to work. They love it! Just chime in and let me know.

Tom

RV-7A Slider Cutaway Release

Hi Group,

The RV-7A Slider Cutaway has just been released. Print production will follow immediately. For more information about the prints, send a request to: [email protected]. Enjoy.

Tom
rv7aflatsliderfinale.jpg

Cutaways for RV 6 and 10

In response to inquiries about RV-6 and RV-10 projects . . . Right now, Tom doesn't have immediate plans for more RV models, as there are not enough orders for any model to justify a project. Here's the stats

RV-4: 7 orders
RV-6: 12 orders
RV-9: 20 orders
RV-10: 6 orders
RV12: 2 orders

Like Tom said in an earlier post, he does not use CAD. Everything is done from scratch in 2D, using blueprints and photos of actual planes. Since it takes about 6 months for Tom to do a series, we need to have somewhere around 60 orders for a model to sustain a project. The number of orders needed depends upon how many of them are for limited editions. If most are open edition prints, then we need more than 60.

Current plans are to work on the orders for custom RV paint schemes and then we'll see if any of the other models get enough interest to start another RV project. We'll keep filling orders for RV-8, -8A, -7 and -7A as well as customs for those models.

Thanks.
Nina

The Chicken is Back!

Due to popular demand, the rubber chicken is back to work on the pitot tube. There will be 2 versions of the RV-7A Slider prints - 1 with chicken and 1 without. Send your request to: [email protected] and let us know which version you prefer. Those of you who have already contacted us do not need to reply again.

Tom
rv7alayslidermaster.jpg

RV-7A Custom Cutaway of N743RV

Hi Group,

Thought you would like to see a custom cutaway of N743RV. For information on how to get a custom cutaway of your RV-8, 8A, 7 or 7A, please contact Tom at: [email protected].

Tom
n743rvmastercopy.jpg

RV Cutaway Calender

I am planning to release a 2011 Calender featuring 12 RV Cutaways soon. Stay tuned for details.
Tom

Next Custom RV Cutaway Subject

This is the paint scheme I am using for the next RV-8 custom cutaway.
Tom
traditionalredgray.jpg

Last edited:
RV-6, 6A Cutaway

To date, interest in a cutaway of the -6, -6A Models has been very small. Several more commitments would be required before a project could be started.

Tom

Arn't there more 6s flying than any other RV?
Couldn't you just make the changes to the 7 / 7a drawings that are already completed? Anyway please add me to the 6a list.

I've emailed twice asking about the -6 drawing. Once initially and then 6 months later asking for an update.

Count me in! I'd like one of the giclee prints. Am I #1? :D

Not easily done

I will check out to see what it will take to convert the -7 to a -6.

Tom

There are very few similarities outside of exterior appearance. The spar, battery box (unless you upgraded like many), wing tips, number of ribs, rudder, seat pans,...I could go on and on. Basically, it would be like starting over.

RV-6, -6A Cutaway Project Update

There are very few similarities outside of exterior appearance. The spar, battery box (unless you upgraded like many), wing tips, number of ribs, rudder, seat pans,...I could go on and on. Basically, it would be like starting over.

I just received the preview plans for the -6, -6A and will study them in the next few days to find out how much effort will be required to create a cutaway illustration. I will keep you posted.

Tom

RV9A

Any chance you can look into the 9? It is essentially a 7 with a different wing and rectangular horizontal stabilizer. The fuse is exactly the same.

Thanks,

Ed

N84VC RV-7A Custom Cutaway

Here's the latest custom RV-7A cutaway; Steve Jarrell's beautiful N84-VC originally built by Vic Syracuse.
n84vcfinalweb1.jpg

Cool! That airplane must be extra fast with both horizontal and vertical fuel injection. ;)

mcb (owner of RV-7 print #2)

Cool! That airplane must be extra fast with both horizontal and vertical fuel injection. ;)

I was aware of fuel system confusion. The cost of a custom cutaway is directly related to time. The more time it takes to accurately portray a particular aircraft, the higher the cost.

In the case of this illustration, the lower air scope on the cowl was more important to the client than completely modifying the base stock illustration engine components to convert it to vertical injection - hence the two intake systems.

Tom

Yep, top speed and payload double, and fuel usage gets cut in half. I'm amazed someone didn't do it sooner! :D

Cutaway Inventory Clearance Sale

For a limited time, TJ Techart is offering 50% off the regular price for Cutaway RV prints.

24 X 36 Limited-Edition Giclee was $275.00......now only $137.50.

24 X 36 Open-Edition was $100.00.......now only $50.00.

18 X 24 Open-Edition was $75.00.....now only $37.50.

Shipping and Handling is FREE!

This offer good while supplies last.

To order, send e-mail request to: [email protected].

Back