What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cutaway RV Drawing

I would like to order as well

Tom,
I sent you a PM. I would like to order one of the limited edition
prints for the $200
THanks
Doug Bell

Tom is an accomplished artist and his work speaks for itself. While VAF, VANS, and other RV related sites are well suited to introduce Tom's work, I don't believe these sites are well suited for placing and/or the taking of print orders and deposits.

If Tom does not already have a web site to accept orders and deposits, possibly someone here could help him. It would then be a simple task to periodically update the 'announcement' sites with order stats and/or new offerings.

BTW... Count me in!

Thanks Ernie, TJTechart is all set up on paypal. I will send paypal invoices by email when we have enough people committed to start the project. The email will provide a link where you can go to pay the invoice. FYI: You don't need a PayPal account - you can use any major credit card.

I would like one of the $200 prints. Will send you a message as directed in your post

Thanks

Geoff Kimbrough
N6978C Flying
Katy, Texas

Please, put me in for one of the RV-8 giclee prints. I sent the E-mail earlier but didn't see the thread requirement also. Thank you.
Howie

Last edited:
RV-8 Prints

I should probably know this, but can someone explain the difference between the giclee print and the regular 24 x 36 print? I understand that the first 100 giclee prints will be signed, but aside from that, is there any difference between those two prints in how they look?

Thanks,

(zhee-klay)

I should probably know this, but can someone explain the difference between the giclee print and the regular 24 x 36 print? I understand that the first 100 giclee prints will be signed, but aside from that, is there any difference between those two prints in how they look?

Thanks,
You have but to do a simple Google search to review the properties of a giclee print. I think you'll find the process produces the sharpest museum quality image possible.

http://www.gicleeprint.net/abtGclee.shtm

http://painting.about.com/cs/printing/a/gilceeprints_2.htm

Thanks,

Hi Fernando
Thanks for your post. Chances are others may not understand the difference between giclee and the standard 24x36.

Giclee (ghee-clay -french meaning 'fine-spray) printing is a relatively new printing process that produces a superior image reproduction. Giclee prints must be printed one at a time on a special digital printing device, using superior non-fugitive (non-fading) ink and heavier museum-quality, acid free paper. Printing is at an extremely high resolution and takes about 1 hour per print . I am present to monitor each one, as it is printed. The end result is an extremely high resolution fine-art print.

The other 24x36 and 18x24 will be printed on an off-set printing press--the same way magazines, newspapers and brochures are produced. Minimum run for these is 500 at a time versus the one at a time for giclees. I use archival (nice) paper and good ink, and I will be present to monitor the run for quality control.

The difference between the two prints is like the difference between a really fine-art print and a nice poster--sort of like the difference between carbon-fiber/titanium versus aluminum/chrome-moly or the difference between HD TV and standard TV.

All of the prints will be individually signed and personalized upon request. However, the Giclee prints are more exclusive, as they are a limited edition (only 100 to be made) and each will be signed and numbered.

Hope this explanation helps,

Cheers,
Tom

I'd be interested in a -7...is this exclusively for 8's?

Hi Ron,

Since the majority of the requests were for a -8 model, that is the chosen plane for the initial project. If that project is a 'go', then hopefully interest
will be high enough to follow with other models. So far, the -9's and -7's
are next in line.

Tom

One RV-8 Giclee, Please

Tom,

Please put me down for one Giclee print of the RV-8 for the $200. I've also sent you an email.

Thanks,
Gunter

Rv-7 Cutaway

Hi Ron,

Since the majority of the requests were for a -8 model, that is the chosen plane for the initial project. If that project is a 'go', then hopefully interest
will be high enough to follow with other models. So far, the -9's and -7's
are next in line.

Tom

Hi Tom -

I'll take a 7 cutaway if you get around to it....

Cheers

JON

Hi. I will take an RV8 24" X 36" giclee.

Also, I would like to count as an applicant for an RV9A (or RV9) giclee.

Thanks.
Camillo U.T.

RV Cutaway project Start

HOT & BRAKE!!! Thanks to all of you, we now have enough commitment to schedule the RV-8 cutaway project for the giclee limited edition. Unfortunately we only received 22 orders for the open edition standard prints (both sizes combined) which isn?t enough yet to cover the minimum quantity printing cost to do both sizes. I?ll keep taking orders on both sizes of the standard prints. By the time the illustration is ready to produce, we may have enough to do at least one of the sizes. I won?t be invoicing for those until we have enough orders.

For those who ordered a giclee limited-edition, you will receive an invoice via email for the 50% retainer to secure your edition #. I?ll continue accepting orders on the giclee prints until we reach the 100 edition mark.

Please send new orders and inquiries to me at [email protected] rather than posting your request on the forum.

So as not to abuse the integrity and intent of this forum, I will send updates on the project via email to all those who ordered, rather than continue to use this forum. Thanks to Doug Reeves for his patience with this thread. Since I was recruited by forum members, I wasn?t quite sure how to follow through.

Yesterday I went to Vans Aircraft for a tour and purchased complete plans for the plane. So I?m in the research & planning process now. Thanks to all of you who are posting progress photos of your RV projects on your own websites. As they say, you can never have too much horse-power or reference photos.

I am very excited about this project and look forward to drawing the first line.

Cool!

Tom,

This is VERY COOL! :D

I'm certain that when folks see the -8 artwork they'll sell like hotcakes! Especially at the fly ins.

Be watchin for the invoice!

IO 360 engine photos

Hi Group,

I need your help. I was surfing this morning looking for reference photos on IO 360 engine internals and found a site where someone was documenting an entire engine rebuild. I think their plane was a -7. I thought, ohh yeah...this is juicy stuff....then my computer unexpectingly flat lined and shut down. after rebooting, I can't find it again.:(

Anyone out there know this site???

Thanks,

Tom

RV-6/7 Cutaway

Tom,

I will sign up for an RV-6/7 cutaway Giclee or a 24"x36", whichever is offered of the 6/7.

Email sent.

Thanks for accepting this job offer!

One of these?

Hi Group,

I need your help. I was surfing this morning looking for reference photos on IO 360 engine internals and found a site where someone was documenting an entire engine rebuild. I think their plane was a -7. I thought, ohh yeah...this is juicy stuff....then my computer unexpectingly flat lined and shut down. after rebooting, I can't find it again.:(

Anyone out there know this site???

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,

These are the two that I'm aware of. Not sure if one of these are what you saw.

http://ecititankit.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2008-09-04T00:12:00-07:00&max-results=7

http://www.flightinnovations.com/engine.html#ECI_Engine_Build

Model specific Tom?

Wow! If you're producing Model specific (where there is demand)
eg: tip-up vs slider / 7 vs 7a. You've got my attention!
Regards

Oh ya, dual HID leading edge wing lights and Jeff B's LED position lights
as well. ;)

RV-8 Cutaway Progess Report

Hi group,

The cutaway is started. RV pilot Dan Miller recently offered to help in any way he could. Dan has a 2 year old -8 and is currently building another one for a friend. So on Wednesday I paid him a visit and spent the day taking photos, measurements and general poking around. He rolled his plane out and I climbed up on the hanger roof and got a bunch of reference photos. I have chosen one of them and now am laying out the different perspective grids so I can start building the airplane.

As Dan was showing me stuff around the cockpit he asked me if I wanted to go for a ride. I casually said sure, but inside I was like a dog running around in circles and jumping up and down. So we jumped in and taxied down his driveway and out on to paved runway in his neighborhood. We did a few orbits of Mt. St. Helens at crater rim altitude. It was awesome to say the least. On the way back, he showed the aerobatic capability of the plane. I was very impressed. This was my first time in an RV and now I can see why all you guys love them so much!

My special thanks to Dan for his gracious help and getting me all fired up for this project. Airplane people are the best! I'll keep you all posted on the project. I hope to have it completed by Sun & Fun '09. See you there.

Cheers,

Tom

$50,000 free ride

As Dan was showing me stuff around the cockpit he asked me if I wanted to go for a ride. I casually said sure, but inside I was like a dog running around in circles and jumping up and down. So we jumped in and taxied down his driveway and out on to paved runway in his neighborhood. We did a few orbits of Mt. St. Helens at crater rim altitude. It was awesome to say the least. On the way back, he showed the aerobatic capability of the plane. I was very impressed. This was my first time in an RV and now I can see why all you guys love them so much!

Cheers,

Tom

Oh boy, are you in trouble now----------:D

Once that first taste wears off, you will want more..............

Oh boy, are you in trouble now----------:D

Once that first taste wears off, you will want more..............

I was aware of that problem as I strapped in. However, to fullfill my obligation to all of you, I had my wife hand cuff me to the drafting board. Focus, Focus, Focus.

TJ

Last edited:
Back