What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crank trigger installation on Lyc. 0-320? who's has done this?

flyboy1963

Well Known Member
Looking at an ElectroAir, with the crank trigger option.
how difficult to install on an completed engine?
Are there brackets available, or is everyone doing a custom one.
Lightspeed would be similar I'm sure.

Does the prop Have to come off? or can you drill the flywheel with it in place?

thanks for any info.

Prop

The manual shows flywheel off. I think it would be easier to take the prop off than to fight it, even it were possible.

I think you can get the bracket from Electroair.

I like my system by the way and would buy another.

cranky trigger finger

Hey Duane,
thanks for the info.
I'm learning bit by bit....is yours the old style with coils and controller box anll in one unit?
if so, is the box gold or purple?
what year did you buy it?
how many hours on it?
what type plugs...I'm having trouble finding the 'big' 18mm automotive that many say they use to avoid adaptors.
do you run it thru a typical ignition switch? or did you isolate with a toggle.

appreciate your feedback,

Perry

Crank Trigger Rings

Hello Guys,

A couple of years ago if not more we were experimenting around with the electromotive programmable XDi2 for aircraft application. This unit requires 60 minus 2 teeth for crank positioning and ignition timing same as the Electro Air. Here's are the crank trigger rings that I designed and had lazar cut out. They mount in the bell of the flywheel, just center the ring, drill, and tap. There are small reference holes pre-drilled. The circumference is larger than the typical installation and you can run the crank trigger pick-up sensor in parallel with the crankshaft. For a nice clean set-up.
Food for thought,

Thomas S.
www.g3ignition.com

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Electroair

Nice hardware Tom! Much nicer than a crank mount. I have had a small bit of gravel get between the pickup and the ring and damage a pickup. Seem less likely with yours.

I have the old unit. Gold box, coils and box on a common platform

A separate toggle for each. I run two of them.

1200 hours. As mentioned above, one mechanical failure. Still ran solely on that ignition, just rough.

NAPA has the plugs. Can't remember the brand just now but the number on them is "386".

This ignition has the longest spark duration of any of the electronic systems that I know of. It will run incredibly far lean of peak without roughness, just less and less power. I have been down to 4 gph wot at 8000 with no roughness (not much power either). Balanced AFP injectors. Gives me a lot of options when running LOP. I typically pull way back based on fuel flow then when I have time out of the pattern go back and touch the peak from the lean side before backing off to 25 to 50 LOP. Injection and electronic are very complimentary.

crank trigger

Tom,
thanks for the input, but my darn browser doesn't show some images, can you forward these to me>?
You called me last month about your ignition, and thought you might be able to find a deal on some new Slick mags, as my old Bendix are due for replacement. THere seem to be a few mags floating around out there, and it's hard to tell if they've had the SB's done. I think I'm safer to buy a new one thru normal channels, might even get the rebate on my old ones from Slick.
appreciate your comments and the crank pics.

Perry
[email protected]

Hello Guys,

A couple of years ago if not more we were experimenting around with the electromotive programmable XDi2 for aircraft application. This unit requires 60 minus 2 teeth for crank positioning and ignition timing same as the Electro Air. Here's are the crank trigger rings that I designed and had lazar cut out. They mount in the bell of the flywheel, just center the ring, drill, and tap. There are small reference holes pre-drilled. The circumference is larger than the typical installation and you can run the crank trigger pick-up sensor in parallel with the crankshaft. For a nice clean set-up.
Food for thought,

Thomas S.
www.g3ignition.com

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Back