What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cracked canopy repair

Lew Gallagher

I'm New Here
Hey guys, I have been helping many of you with repairing cracked plexiglass canopies over the past several years. I was keeping a list of those with issues, but my computer went into a “can’t repair” loop and won’t boot up. I’m scheduled for a computer repair tomorrow but he can’t guarantee a recovery of emails, pictures, files, etc. So I cobbled together a partial list from my phone contacts and sent a group text to them asking that they contact me again. I joined Vansairforce just to be able to post this in case I’ve missed someone. Please contact me at [email protected] or cell 864-915-1647

I’ll see if I can attach a picture of the RV-10 in final assembly that has consumed my time responding to plexi issues for many months now !!

Attachments

• IMG_9524.jpg
    IMG_9524.jpg
    434.9 KB · Views: 121
I just got my RV-7 canopy back from Lew. He went above and beyond and repaired what appeared to be some minor surface rust on the canopy frame but was actually a lot worse.

This is a new to me plane that's 10 years old and to my knowledge, has always been hangared. Lew said there was water inside the frame!

He even streamlined and polished the exterior latch handle. That's got to be good for at least 10 or 15 knots! :)

Lew's a great person and very talented!

Crack 1.jpg Lew 08.jpg Lew 09.jpg

Lew 10.jpg Lew 11.jpg Lew 13.jpg

Lew 16.jpg Lew 17.jpg Lew 18.jpg

Lew 19.jpg Lew 23.jpg Lew 24.jpg

Lew is an absolute wizard with these canopy repairs. He repaired my 7 when the typical corner crack/break off occurred. He also repaired a friend's 8 recently. In both cases, you almost had to know where the crack was to see it once he was done. The photos provided above are close-ups and don't adequately show the quality of the finished repair. Highly, highly recommend.

Back