What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Couple of questions

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
Hi everyone. Hope you all had a good Holiday and Happy New Year

Couple of questions:

1) In the photo below there are additional holes in the forward turtle deck skin that are not in the 706 bulkhead or in the F-788 gusset that you see primed. The "extra" holes are circled so you know which ones I mean. I assume I make matching holes in the F-788 gusset and 706 bulkhead? Just wondering why they were not already drilled.

2) I want to order some cherry max pull rivets. Do they require a special rivet tool and can I use my standard pop rivet tool?

Thanks

Hi Tom, I just checked mine and those holes do not exist in my build.
2015-01-12%2B12.35.30.jpg

2015-01-12%2B12.35.37.jpg

Look forward in the plans, and see if anything gets bolted/screwed in place in that area---------those holes look like they may be for the rivets to hold a nutplate??

Slider?

Nope, not a slider skin. Mystery solved, those holes are to attach the F-732A support to the roll bar on the tip-up canopy.
Glad I didn't attach that skin :D

Last edited:
Here's a couple of photos of mine for reference.
IMG_3991-M.jpg

With the skin on. The middle holes get AD4 sized rivets.
IMG_1755-M.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure.... but the original question could be related to a service bulletin issued in 2007 (for RV-7 and 9 tip-up canopy fuselages only), depending on the vintage of your fuselage kit.
You can access it HERE

Thanks everyone.

Here's a couple of photos of mine for reference.
IMG_3991-M.jpg

Just curious Bruce, did you have to drill the extra holes in the gusset and bulkhead, or did yours come already pre-drilled to match the skin?

I have a newer kit and the parts look as shown in Bruce's photo above.

T.

Look at Detail G and Detail D-D on DWG 40. It looks like you have to drill these for the tip up and not the slider.

Back