What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Connector weights

wirejock

Well Known Member
Just another bunch of data FWIW. I'm not advocating any style.

Terminal strips? Fogetaboutit! Sorry. Actually they are really heavy. I recommend weighing if you plan to use them. I was planning them in a couple places till I weighed them. Add the ring terminals if you weigh.

The weight results on D-subs are as expected. With shells, they are heavier than Molex, but I still prefer them for important systems like servos. YMMV. However, a pair of D-subs without shells are much lighter. This one is worth considering. On non-critical systems like lights, I eliminate the D-sub shell and lash the two halves together with Waxed Lashing string. NonI didn't weigh the string. I still like Molex, but prefer D-sub. Big wires obviously need another style connection like Faston or Canon.

Weights based on 9-wires
Pair of D-subs with shells nuts, screws and all pins- 23.6g
Pair of D-subs without shells with all pins- 11.7
Pair of 9-pin Molex with all pins- 6.4
9 pairs of Faston terminals- 16.9g

Last one is interesting. A pair of D-subs without shells is much lighter and easier to separate or install.

I did not weigh solder sleeves. That's a great connection but more difficult to separate for maintenance.
There's also D-sub pins without the chassis. Male/female with heat shrink. Very light. Also not pleasant to separate for maintenance but worth consideration.

Just some data. Hope it's of some value.

Back