What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

condition inspection

The center tunnel as known on the RV4 houses all the control linkage for the sticks and the ailerons, splice plates for the wi gs and also the fuel lines join there at the fuel selector in most RV4's. I assume your new to the RV4 and haven't built one. I built mine and inspect quite a few others. Most of the area can be seen with a mirror through the stick boot and the typically removable floor under the front seat. The attached picture is from back during my build to give you an idea. The splice plates are temporarily installed in the picture.

Attachments

• 20220912_141012.jpg
    20220912_141012.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 88
The center tunnel as known on the RV4 houses all the control linkage for the sticks and the ailerons, splice plates for the wi gs and also the fuel lines join there at the fuel selector in most RV4's. I assume your new to the RV4 and haven't built one. I built mine and inspect quite a few others. Most of the area can be seen with a mirror through the stick boot and the typically removable floor under the front seat. The attached picture is from back during my build to give you an idea. The splice plates are temporarily installed in the picture.
thank you very much and yes I didnt build and I am opening up all the panels and fairings for my IA to inspect and did not recall ever pulling that panel during past condition inspections. Much appreciated!

The plates on the left and right of the center tunnel (where your feet would go if they weren't on the rudder pedals or where you step when getting in) are where the fuel lines come in as well as some electrical wires from the wings. Always good to look there to make sure the grommets that the fuel lines pass through are still in good shape. You can see them from the wing side but why not both? If you don't open them, the IA will wonder what is under there if he is not familiar with -4s. I have fuel filters installed in those areas, one for each wing tank, and open it up every 25 hours to inspect the fuel filters. As you probably know, the panels under the front seat also have to come off. Where the torque tubes from the wings hook onto the control stick mechanism. And you have to lube the connections there.

Back