What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cockpit fuel lines and fire prevention

Todd, after the flash what sort of fire problem did you have? What caught fire and where?

Both wing root areas caught on fire. I don't know if the fuel for those fires was from the tank lines or if it was some fuel left over inside the cockpit that had been blown out to the wing roots. They were very tiny fires and could have easily been put out with another fire extinguisher. I believe if I was flying the wind alone probably would have put them out.

Nothing like a good reference library.

Mind posting one detail about .035 304 stainless steel lines? Minimum bend radius for dash 3, 4, and 6, please. The rest we can figure out.

Sure thing Dan -

T.O. 1-1A-8 (current as of 1997)

Table 13-7. Bend Radii For Conduit and Fluid Lines

(My book makes no distinction between material or wall thickness.)

There are three "categories" of bend radii:

1. Special (1.5D - 2D) (Requires engineering approval in systems more than 1500psi)
2. Recommended (3D -4D) (Use whenever possible)
3. Additional (6D) (Use only when recommended bends won't work)

So for a "Recommended" 3D bend radii of -6 tube would be to simply multiply the tube diameter of the -6 tube by 3. (.375 x 3 = 1.125)

Tube flatness shall not exceed 10% for systems with working pressures less than 1000psi. Tube flatness is determined by the formula: (max.OD-min.ID/nominal OD) x 100%

Kinks/wrinkles and scratch limits (for less than 500psi): Kinks/wrinkles no greater than 2% tube OD; scratches no deeper than 10% nominal wall thickness. Scratches within these limits must be burnished out to remove the notch effect (stress riser). Beyond these limits, the tube must be replaced

Michael,
Thanks for the data. With that radius I have one particular spot where a SS hard line should work nicely.

Todd,
Interesting....fire inside the wing root fairings would suggest a local fuel source. The only two choices are leaking gasoline and paint, and a quick flash which didn't ignite your clothes probably wouldn't ignite paint.

No personal experience with the RV-10 structure, so ya'll correct me if my mental picture is incorrect:

Fuel tank sender and tank access plate is just forward of the main spar.

The main spar's fuselage spar box is hollow and open at the ends with a C-shaped cutout in the web, I think to pass an aileron torque tube.

The center of the spar box has a opening just forward of the flap motor.

Michael,
Thanks for the data. With that radius I have one particular spot where a SS hard line should work nicely.

Todd,
Interesting....fire inside the wing root fairings would suggest a local fuel source. The only two choices are leaking gasoline and paint, and a quick flash which didn't ignite your clothes probably wouldn't ignite paint.

No personal experience with the RV-10 structure, so ya'll correct me if my mental picture is incorrect:

Fuel tank sender and tank access plate is just forward of the main spar.

The main spar's fuselage spar box is hollow and open at the ends with a C-shaped cutout in the web, I think to pass an aileron torque tube.

The center of the spar box has a opening just forward of the flap motor.

I think you are correct Dan. I not sure but the smoke I saw outside could have come from stuff inside the spar box just venting out at the ends. There was so much stuff in the back of the plane there was almost no way for anything smoke wise to rise out of there. The inside of the tunnel area could have been burning also. But everything happened so quickly.

Back