What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Christmas Fire/Temporary setback

Thank you to everyone that responded to my original post. I have decided that I will press on and finish every last piece of this aircraft.
As soon as I am financially able to replace all of the parts, the construction will begin once again. I thank all of you for your very kind words of support and offers for help. I wish everyone a happy new year. I have a vision that the "Phoenix" will fly in 2010.

Good to hear that you will finish the project. Best of luck!

Jeff,

How are you doing with the new cowl?

FYI, I just finished fitting my new top cowl and have the bottom cowl duck taped in place.

To make the hole duplicator I didn't do exactly what we talked about on the phone. Rather than make a duplicator, I made a disk with a #40 hole in the center that fit in the hole for the Skybolt female receptacle. Then used my #40 hole duplicator to locate the center of the new hole.

To make sure everything lined up correctly, I drilled the center hole, removed the cowl, drilled it out, put the male Skybolt fastener in place, put the cowl back on, drilled one hole, removed the cowl, drilled it for the fastener, and then put it back on. I did each hole one at a time, just to make sure the cowl lined up exactly. It took a bit longer than I would have liked by doing it that way but it came out perfect.

Now to do the bottom cowl.

Give me a call, if you have any questions.

Back