What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chiefs fly over smoke cartridge carriers

grumman41

I own one of the airplanes that was in the record attempt over the KC Chiefs football game. I would like to have one of the smoke cartridge carriers for nostalgia only. Does anyone know if they were all returned to the guys at Lees Summit that fabricated or?
Thanks.

Smoke cartridge bracket

Tim,

Those were made specifically for each plane. As the RVs are not factory built on a jig, the brackets were generically mass produced but the holes for mounting had to be individually drilled for the specific plane. The brackets should have stayed with the plane. If you are in the STL area PM me, always looking for formation buddies to fly with.

I own one of the airplanes that was in the record attempt over the KC Chiefs football game. I would like to have one of the smoke cartridge carriers for nostalgia only. Does anyone know if they were all returned to the guys at Lees Summit that fabricated or?
Thanks.

Tim,

Those were made specifically for each plane. As the RVs are not factory built on a jig, the brackets were generically mass produced but the holes for mounting had to be individually drilled for the specific plane. The brackets should have stayed with the plane. If you are in the STL area PM me, always looking for formation buddies to fly with.

And the bracket were STAMPED with info on what airplane they go on. The airplane Oly now owns was two in front of me and was very stable. (not going up and down) I used it to help me be stable 5th back on the centerline.

TL Smoke Bracket.jpg

Richard "Maverick" White of R&D American aviation made the brackets IIRC and helped get the holes drilled in the correct location so that they would BOLT on to the aircraft using existing holes and nutplates already on the airplanes.

Last edited:
Back