What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Check list

dan carley

Well Known Member
Does anyone have or know where to get a
good checklist for the rv7 ?

Thank you
Danny carley

Last edited:
Try this one, Dan:

Preflight: All big pieces attached
Starting: Start
Before Taxi: All switches on
Before Takeoff: Line up, all levers forward
Flying: Push forward, houses get big
Pull back, houses get small
Pull back more, houses get big again
Before Landing: Big lever back
Shutdown: Everything off

I love the world of Experimentals!!!

Preflight: All big pieces attached
Starting: Start
Before Taxi: All switches on
Before Takeoff: Line up, all levers forward
Flying: Push forward, houses get big
Pull back, houses get small
Pull back more, houses get big again
Before Landing: Big lever back
Shutdown: Everything off
I like it, it’s a good start, but it’s still a bit complex and could be simplified further.
:p

Ideally, checklist and panel layout are designed at the same time.

Don't copy somebody else's checklist. Write your own that gives good flow around the cockpit as you perform the checklist.

There are lots of philosophies on what should and should not go into checklists. One standard fallacy is to put everything possible on the checklist. This subject would make a good article, and I'm pretty sure i wrote at least one in the past. Don't know if I can find one, though...

Check lists....primers.....wheel landings vs three point....etc

Ideally, checklist and panel layout are designed at the same time. Don't copy somebody else's checklist. Write your own that gives good flow around the cockpit as you perform the checklist.

Agreed. Your post doesn't say if you are a builder about to fly or a flyer wanting a better check list.

I have a check list for SuzieQ that has been extensively modified over the years. My first one came from sitting in the cockpit before my first flight, staring at the panel, and seeing what I needed on the list and where it should go. After my first flight, it was modified further, and more so as I continued to become familiar with what I needed. Parts of my check list are "oh, yeah" reminders. Some are "duh" things that I would do.

The times I go down with my thumb on the list are prestart to make sure I did the oh yeah things (switches, channels, etc). My prestart/taxi is pretty routine but I still look to make sure I didn't leave anything out.

My pre-departure I say out loud to myself and whoever happens to be with me without looking at the list. (Canopy: down and locked; seat belts: locked; boost pump: on; flaps: set 20 degrees......etc) Departure: in my head but an oh, yeah sometimes is the boost pump. Once or twice flaps. My arrival check list is also in my brain and I rarely miss anything. A little more complicated than GUMPS. Taxiing: I have to remind myself to set the mixture to taxi. Shut down is simple but my thumb is on the list to make sure everything is turned off. I last modified my checklists about 2 months ago. ;)

So: go sit in your airplane and make one. Do the oh yeahs and duhs until you can do them flying without looking at the list. Simple is always better than complicated. One is needed if you are not familiar with the airplane and for others to use who might not be familiar with the airplane either. And it's fun to hand it to your passenger to have them "call and response" the check list! Makes them feel like part of the crew!:p

I spent a lot of time behind rentals and they all have these Checkmates checklists in the cabins. In preparation for my first flight, I am tailoring the my RV8 checklist to look like the Checkmates list. I added in a few items specific to my airplane and deleted the items that aren't.

This is just to describe my approach to the checklist.

dateposted-public

Well, shoot. Tried to post pics of my checklist but it doesn’t work. I copied and pasted the URL to the pic on Flickr into the Insert Image link but it isn’t working.

Last edited:
dateposted-public

Well, shoot. Tried to post pics of my checklist but it doesn’t work. I copied and pasted the URL to the pic on Flickr into the Insert Image link but it isn’t working.

Here is your pic using your Flickr .jpg file:

53234949240_eb7e5aa632_b.jpg

Last edited:
Here is your pic using your Flickr .jpg file:

53234949240_eb7e5aa632_b.jpg
How did you do that? Pretend for a minute that I am baffled by the sorcery of anything more complex than an iPhone (not much of a reach, actually), and walk me through how to make the checklist visible here.

Magic, of course!

How did you do that? Pretend for a minute that I am baffled by the sorcery of anything more complex than an iPhone (not much of a reach, actually), and walk me through how to make the checklist visible here.

The trick is to dig down to the .jpg file and use it (or the gif, png, or jpeg file). I went to your Flickr site with the pic:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/186094427@N07/53234949240/in/dateposted-public

Then I did a 'show page source' in my web browser, then went to the 'images' folder and chose an image that was appropriately sized ... this one below.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53234949240_eb7e5aa632_b.jpg

Opened it in a new browser window (or tab) and copied the url address. Then used VAF's 'Insert Image' (the mountain icon) and copied the url address path there.

There may be easier ways using Flickr if you're logged in to your account.

There are other ways not using Flickr that others may come along and explain (e.g., using VAF's 'paperclip' icon).

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Ideally, checklist and panel layout are designed at the same time.

Don't copy somebody else's checklist. Write your own that gives good flow around the cockpit as you perform the checklist.

There are lots of philosophies on what should and should not go into checklists. One standard fallacy is to put everything possible on the checklist. This subject would make a good article, and I'm pretty sure i wrote at least one in the past. Don't know if I can find one, though...

ed I very rarely disagree with you, but i have to on this one. PERFORMING a checklist is the wrong methodology. it becomes a do list, not a checklist. modern ideology is to develop a flow that is done, then it is just checked by the checklist. you are right that most checklists are way to long and have to much clutter on them. do the flow around the cockpit, then the check list should only check the "can really hurt you" things. my biggest pet peeve is checklist that have the steps to start the engine on them.

example, the origination flow on the A-320 basically checks every switch on the airplane and there is no checklist for it. the before start flow has bunch of items split between the two pilots as you stated, with a logical pattern around the flight deck. followed by a before start checklist with 11 items on it.

i do agree with you that they need to be short only cover the "will hurt you items". the rest should be covered by the flow you do before running a checklist.

Back