What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Check it out, my under wing taxi camera went live :)

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
I just finished pulling all the wiring in the wings and while I still have to connect everything at the wing tips, I did have enough time to ops check the underwing forward facing camera. Why a forward facing camera you ask? because with some taildraggers it's a hassle to taxi because you can't see over the nose very well. Since the G3X screens will accept a conventional video input it was really simple to install a cheap automotive backup camera.

If you have a screen that accepts video input, you can be the first kid on your block to have yet another kinda cool gadget of questionable value for the low low price of $30.

Attachments

• IMG_9172.jpeg
    IMG_9172.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 716
I just finished pulling all the wiring in the wings and while I still have to connect everything at the wing tips, I did have enough time to ops check the underwing forward facing camera. Why a forward facing camera you ask? because with some taildraggers it's a hassle to taxi because you can't see over the nose very well. Since the G3X screens will accept a conventional video input it was really simple to install a cheap automotive backup camera.

If you have a screen that accepts video input, you can be the first kid on your block to have yet another kinda cool gadget of questionable value for the low low price of $30.
Be sure to check the default view for image reversal!

Nice! One of the coolest little things I have seen in the various aircraft I have flown in the past year was a tiny lipstick camera in the belly scoop of the SW-51 scale Mustang. It gave a centerline taxi view that was perfect with that long nose out in front, and it hid perfectly in the Scoop….

Nice! One of the coolest little things I have seen in the various aircraft I have flown in the past year was a tiny lipstick camera in the belly scoop of the SW-51 scale Mustang. It gave a centerline taxi view that was perfect with that long nose out in front, and it hid perfectly in the Scoop….
Yeah, it's amazing how small they've gotten. This one is nothing special at all, literally just a generic automotive backup camera. Even so, it's about the size of a Yahtzee die. You could stick it just about anywhere.

Attachments

• IMG_9171.jpeg
    IMG_9171.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 464
Yeah, it's amazing how small they've gotten. This one is nothing special at all, literally just a generic automotive backup camera. Even so, it's about the size of a Yahtzee die. You could stick it just about anywhere.

Is that just connected to your GDU for live viewing? Or is there a way to record the video images?

Is that just connected to your GDU for live viewing? Or is there a way to record the video images?
It's just connected to the video input on the back of the GDU. Live viewing only. The way I've got it installed, its only real purpose is to be able to have an unobstructed view during taxi. I suppose a side benefit is seeing where the wheels are on skinny taxiways.

It was easy and cheap to put in this way, but you may notice that it's mounted on an inspection panel. If it tanks or I discover that I never use it, It's easy to scrap without having an extra hole in the wing to deal with.

It's just connected to the video input on the back of the GDU. Live viewing only. The way I've got it installed, its only real purpose is to be able to have an unobstructed view during taxi. I suppose a side benefit is seeing where the wheels are on skinny taxiways.

It was easy and cheap to put in this way, but you may notice that it's mounted on an inspection panel. If it tanks or I discover that I never use it, It's easy to scrap without having an extra hole in the wing to deal with.
Can you please post a link to the camera you used?

Sure. Any camera tha outputs in PAL, NTSC or SECAM formats will work. I used this one from Amazon. It claims to be waterproof and you can snip some wires in the bundle to get rid of the backup gridlines and make it un-mirror the image. It has the wrong connector on the end so you have to find a way to adapt the RCA Video jack to a BNC connector. I cant remember if I bought an adapter or just cut the wire and changed the end. Either way would work.

Sure. Any camera tha outputs in PAL, NTSC or SECAM formats will work. I used this one from Amazon. It claims to be waterproof and you can snip some wires in the bundle to get rid of the backup gridlines and make it un-mirror the image. It has the wrong connector on the end so you have to find a way to adapt the RCA Video jack to a BNC connector. I cant remember if I bought an adapter or just cut the wire and changed the end. Either way would work.

Is this camera format compatible with Garmin G3X, I looked it up but it does not list any of the three output format that is compatible with Garmin.

Is this camera format compatible with Garmin G3X, I looked it up but it does not list any of the three output format that is compatible with Garmin.
Yes. I have this installed on my -7 with both G3X Touch (GDU 460/465)

It’s Amazon so I guess you never know what you’re going to get, but I just pulled the box off the shelf and verified the one I have is labeled Natika WD-011.

I adapted the end to a BNC, plugged it in to the Video jack on the back of the G3X pfd and it works as you can see in the
Thank you for confirming.
Sorry for the delay, I was away from my Mac all day. Yeah, like Brian said, This is the one I have plugged into my G3X PFD and it works fine. You have to change the plug on the end and get 12v power to it. I just ran fused power from my main bus.

There are three tiny color coded wire loops sticking out of the harness that accommodate different mounting positions and options. Cut 1 and the grid lines disappear, cut another and the image un-mirrors. I think the 3rd rotates the image 180 in case you want to mount it upside down.

It’s Amazon so I guess you never know what you’re going to get, but I just pulled the box off the shelf and verified the one I have is labeled Natika WD-011.

I adapted the end to a BNC, plugged it in to the Video jack on the back of the G3X pfd and it works as you can see in the

Sorry for the delay, I was away from my Mac all day. Yeah, like Brian said, This is the one I have plugged into my G3X PFD and it works fine. You have to change the plug on the end and get 12v power to it. I just ran fused power from my main bus.

There are three tiny color coded wire loops sticking out of the harness that accommodate different mounting positions and options. Cut 1 and the grid lines disappear, cut another and the image un-mirrors. I think the 3rd rotates the image 180 in case you want to mount it upside down.
Thanks again for confirming. I ordered this one yesterday since it specifically listed the formats and seem to support a higher resolution. I will report back with my experience and if it works as seamlessly as the model you have.
Now I wonder if there is any way to save the video on the SD card installed on the GDU 465

I am installing this camera as well. I used an rca to bnc connector and it worked fine. Use the power wire attached to the RCA. I will report back in a few days how the wing view is.

Back