What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Central Midwest Paint Shop Recommendations?

Brett H

Patron
I'm trying to figure out where to get my completed RV-12 painted.

Any recommendations of paint shops to consider or to avoid? Feel free to PM me.

Many thanks.

Brett H
N4BH
Columbus, IN

Best paint shop in the country is in Gadsden, Alabama. They painted the OSH 2023 Grand Champion F1 Rocket (plus many of the award winning planes over the years). They had a beautiful RV-12 in their booth this year.

Bad news is they are booked out until January, 2028 now.

https://www.evokeaviation.com/

Indeed. But hey, is it any consolation that they’re also exceedingly expensive?

Two years ago they quoted me $28,000 for a fairly basic paint scheme on a -12iS!

Beautiful work but.....

No thank you.

Sunshine Aviation in Tompkinsville, KY did the same paint scheme (and did it very well) for $12,700.

Hayes Aviation ?

Might consider Hayes Aviation in Akron, CO. They paint RVs. A couple local KLNK guys took their RVs (RV-7A and RV-8A) out there for paint and were happy with the results. I'm taking my RV-7 out there this January.

Doug
RV-7
Flying!!!

midwest

Well, that and the fact that they are not located in the Midwest.

Evoke may technically not be midwest but It took only 1+58 to get to KGAD from Cincinnati; the OP would seem to be in Columbus, IN, so the time would be comparable.

It was entirely worth it to me; the paint job is spectacular.

Evoke may technically not be midwest but It took only 1+58 to get to KGAD from Cincinnati; the OP would seem to be in Columbus, IN, so the time would be comparable.

It was entirely worth it to me; the paint job is spectacular.

Yes it is. I saw Bob's plane a little before delivery.

If you saw the amount of work that goes into an Evoke painted airplane, you would understand the value of what they do. It is also why many of the award winners at SNF and OSH are painted at Evoke.

It's not for everybody and personally, I'm thankful for that. Every plane is unique and is impeccably finished.

Paint shop in Springfield, MO - FulltronAviation.com

FulltronAviation.com has a state-of-the-art paintshop in Springfield, MO that specializes in painting RV's.

This just gave me hope- I can handle $12,700 for an RV12is.

My experience occurred during the week of Oshkosh 2021. Since then Sunshine has changed hands and I've been told the same paint job today is being quoted between $18,000 and $21,000.

The new ownership kept on the painter, Jonathan, so the quality of work should remain at the new price point. Everything has gone up in aviation as well as the grocery store, fuel, shipping costs, etc., etc., etc. so it's no surprise that paintwork would increase, as well.

My hangarmate decided to polish the aluminum on his Zenith recently completed and accent with vinyl.

Back