What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CB's firewall forward?

larryj

Well Known Member
Wiring the shunt for my MVP-60 the 2 leads to the instrument call for a CB on each leg. Since the shunt is on the firewall it seems easiest to put the CB or fuse right next to it. Is there a problem putting circuit breakers in the engine compartment? I'm thinking heat. My next best option would be fuses. Least desirable option would be to put these CB's or fuses aft of the firewall. Anyone with experience putting CB's forward of the firewall?

Preference

I prefer to not have unfused power passing through the firewall. Main power is on an ANL style fuse and the shunt sense is with 28 AWG fusible links. I used as small of wire I could get.
I also have a fusible link on the firewall side for my cabin light, which is not switched with the master. That way there will be a ultra low draw light someone can use while camping and not run the battery down if left on.

Thanks guys,
In closing, I did find some folks who have put CB's FWF and some certified aircraft have CB's FWF. So I went ahead and put the two 1 amp CB's for the shunt leads to the MVP-50 right next to the shunt plus the 2 amp CB for the Alt Fld sensor (B&C alternator + regulator). Nice clean install.

Back