What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carb screen torque?

blueflyer

Well Known Member
What is the proper torque value for the nut (circled in blue) that holds the carburetor screen in place?

carb.jpg

Last edited:
I believe 10-12 ftlbs.. also I thought servicing the filter screen was supposed to be accessed from the inlet side? That might be for fuel injection..

http://acversailles.free.fr/documen...urateur/Cleaning_your_carb's_inlet_screen.pdf

This is a good overview of what needs to be done to clean and inspect the carb filter screen, however, I think the carb diagrams in this link are wrong. My MA-4-5 on my RV6 (O-360) looks just like the first diagram in the linked post, which it says is a MA-3. That one is actually the MA-4-5, where you need to remove the hex nut - attached to the filter screen - which is on the opposite side of the fuel line inlet. No need to remove the fuel line. Make sure you replace the soft metal gasket (PN 16-A48). Can be reused if not damaged, or maybe heat treated like you can do with spark plug gaskets, but they are cheap, so buy a few. Page 2 in the link is the MA-3 (O-235, O-320), not the MA-4-5 like the caption says.
Removing the bowl drain to flush it out may be a problem if you have the standard Vans updraft carb airbox. Built per plans it requires removing the airbox top plate, cutting away the silicone you may have used to seal that area of the air box top plate, to get to the drain plug.

Last edited:
I believe 10-12 ftlbs.. also I thought servicing the filter screen was supposed to be accessed from the inlet side? That might be for fuel injection..

http://acversailles.free.fr/documen...urateur/Cleaning_your_carb's_inlet_screen.pdf

This is a good overview of what needs to be done to clean and inspect the carb filter screen, however, I think the carb diagrams in this link are wrong. My MA-4-5 on my RV6 (O-360) looks just like the first diagram in the linked post, which it says is a MA-3. That one is actually the MA-4-5, where you need to remove the hex nut - attached to the filter screen - which is on the opposite side of the fuel line inlet. No need to remove the fuel line. Make sure you replace the soft metal gasket (PN 16-A36). Can be reused, or maybe heat treated like you can do with spark plug gaskets, but they are cheap, so buy a few. Page 2 in the link is the MA-3 (O-235, O-320), not the MA-4-5 like the caption says.
Removing the bowl drain to flush it out may be a problem if you have the standard Vans updraft carb airbox. Built per plans it requires removing the airbox top plate, cutting away the silicone you may have used to seal that area of the air box top plate, to get to the drain plug.

Back