What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carb Drip Trays...

Piper J3

Well Known Member
Both of my carb drip trays are cracked from vibration with 900TT and are being replaced with new. Question…. I have seen on Synergy-built legacy RV-12 where they have a silicone type doughnut (3/4” round) wedged between bottom of carb float bowl and the drip tray... I assume to limit vibration of the sheetmetal tray. Does anybody have information about this part? I don’t see reference in KAI….

Both of my carb drip trays are cracked from vibration with 900TT and are being replaced with new. Question…. I have seen on Synergy-built legacy RV-12 where they have a silicone type doughnut (3/4” round) wedged between bottom of carb float bowl and the drip tray... I assume to limit vibration of the sheetmetal tray. Does anybody have information about this part? I don’t see reference in KAI….
When I built my ELSA the KAI told us to put a blob of ProSeal between the Drip Tray and bottom of the Float Bowl. Used a wire or thin blade to slice it when removing carb for the first time.

At 1300 hrs my right one cracked in the right side radius. I made a new piece removed the cracked one and replaced it. There is a fillet of proseal in all corners that probably helps dampen the movement. Carb balance and dynamic prop balance are your friend.

Page 46-07 (Rev. 2), Steps 3-5 of the RV-12 Plan Set describes the installation of a vibration dampener for the carbs.

Back