What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

canopy lift cylinders

seagull

Well Known Member
I have developed a "click" when I close my canopy from one side. The click occurs in the last 8", and is coming from the right hinge area. One thought is the canopy is twisting because the cylinders are not helping enough. I am thinking that maybe the lift assist cylinders are getting weak. Is there a spec to test their strength?

I have developed a "click" when I close my canopy from one side. The click occurs in the last 8", and is coming from the right hinge area. One thought is the canopy is twisting because the cylinders are not helping enough. I am thinking that maybe the lift assist cylinders are getting weak. Is there a spec to test their strength?
Many struts have their force printed on their label, often in Newtons. Remove the strut, compress it half way, hold it against a scale and compare the reading (convert pounds to Newtons, or vice-versa) to the spec.

We had an RV 14 on the field that had a very distinctive click. It was the canopy leading edge skirt hanging up on the fuselage upper skin. We couldn’t figure it out till we had a third expert standing in front of the plane. It was caused by the canopy twisting a bit.

Last edited:
Vans says the compression force is 460N and expansion force is 300N, in pounds thats 103# / 67#. Mine measures 36# left and 45# right. The weakness is probably allowing the canopy to twist when lowering causing it to scrape. Interestingly Vans is cheapest on these struts at $20 each.

When I'm parked in my hanger I leave the canopy open to try to extend the life of the struts. I have replaced them due to not holding the canopy up that well especially if there is a strong breeze.

I had a distinct click that turned into an interference when opening my canopy. Discovered that the canopy frame aft of the hinge bolt was catching on the avionics cowl. Took a fair bit of “shrinking” the cowl skin to eliminate the bulge caused by forcing the canopy open.

When I'm parked in my hanger I leave the canopy open to try to extend the life of the struts. I have replaced them due to not holding the canopy up that well especially if there is a strong breeze.
There is a 3D printable canopy "hold-open" or you could use PVC pipe and notch out to do the same.

Refer to Post #8

With lifters that have the proper strength the wind isn’t a problem.
Just a suggestion. My lifters are still fairly new and have proper strength but I'm not walking away from my -12 without one of these in place. If you're okay with building a new canopy and not flying during the time it takes to make the new canopy that's up to you. But if I don't have a hand on the canopy one of these is in place.

Back