What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canon Digital Rebel Problem

Jonathan Cude

I've noticed several people on the forums have some pretty nice cameras. Perhaps you could help me fix a problem with my camera. When I increase the shutter speed, I get some weird photos back. Its like the shutter isn't getting out of the way fast enough and half the picture shows up. sometimes the photo i get back is completely black, but upon immediately taking the same photo again, it works fine. Anyone have any similar problems? Anyone know what is wrong or how to fix it?

All help appreciated,
Jonathan

I have an 18-20 month old digital Rebel and it works perfectly. Sorry your's doesn't. I have no ideas or suggestions other than Canon service.

Perhaps you could help me fix a problem with my camera. When I increase the shutter speed, I get some weird photos back. Its like the shutter isn't getting out of the way fast enough and half the picture shows up. sometimes the photo i get back is completely black, but upon immediately taking the same photo again, it works fine. Anyone have any similar problems? Anyone know what is wrong or how to fix it?

If this problem occurs when using a flash it may be easily corrected. If it appears when not using a flash, I can't think of any remedy other than returning the camera to Canon for repair.

If you get a partial frame when using the flash and the camera isn't malfunctioning, it is due to using too high a shutter speed. When in normal flash mode (the camera does have a special high speed flash mode but you have to activate it via the menus) the shutter curtain has to run slowly enough for the entire sensor to be exposed during the flash. If I recall correctly (we use various Rebels and the 30D) maximum flash sync speed is either 1/180 or 1/200. Make sure the mode you are using isn't allowing the shutter speed to go higher than this speed. Symptoms of using too high a shutter speed with flash is often just as you described. I'm a little concerned that the problem isn't seen consistently, but maybe the exposure program is changing the shutter speed as you move the camera and the lighting of the subject changes.

Hope this helps,

Any chance you can post one of these bad images? Might help give a better idea of what's going on.

I had a similar problem with my Canon EOS 650 film camera. It was an actual shutter curtain problem and had to be repaired. Not sure how the digital cameras work. You probably need to return it or have it checked out.

Karl

I have heard that if you have a lot of shapshots on the camera (i.e more than 10,000 shots), the shutter may need to be replaced. I'd call Canon and see what they have to say. How old is it?

Mine has held up well after about 11,000 shots. 2 years old. Ready to upgrade but have to convince the CFO first.

Problem Pictures

img5698ahl2.jpg

img5692azu8.jpg

Both of these pictures were taken with a flash, but the flash sync is probably not the culprit here as it happens to photos taken without the flash. It seems as though it is most likely a malfunctioning shutter. The camera was purchased in March from Adorama.com. It currently has taken about 5500 photos. Is it under warranty or am I out of luck since I bought it from an online store?

ps... anyone need some tires?!? j/k

Jonathan

Last edited:
Both of these pictures were taken with a flash, but the flash sync is probably not the culprit here as it happens to photos taken without the flash. It seems as though it is most likely a malfunctioning shutter. The camera was purchased in March from Adorama.com. It currently has taken about 5500 photos. Is it under warranty or am I out of luck since I bought it from an online store?

Jonathan, your flash photo problems are due to improper shutter sync. I don't know how to explain this problem with non-flash photos because it would seem that a shutter running at the wrong speed would cause exposure errors, not the dark areas.

However, provided you did not purchase a "gray market" camera (if you have a warranty card with a declaration of a U.S. warranty you do not have gray market) then you are entitled to warranty service from Canon since the camera has a one year warranty. Call Canon USA and they will walk you through the warranty service process.

flash Sync

Looking at your pictures, the exif information shows that your camera shutter was set at 1/60" on both pictures, the apeture on the first at 3.5 and the last at 4.0. The rebel xt is capable of a flash sync to 1/200", so both of these pictures should be in sync. these leads me to believe that you have troubles other than flash sync.

I am not familiar with the specific camera you mentioned, but it sure looks like a common problem with SLR cameras, that is the mirror doesnt retract all the way.

Is this a SLR?? Dosent matter is film or digital.

Is the problem only with flash??? If so, then the mirror is not the problem.

If this happens both with and without flash, I would check the mirror, assuming your Rebel is a SLR.

Mike

Jonathan have you tried resetting the camera back to factory defaults? I use a Olympus E-20N and at time when I try various settings, its always easier to reset it than try to remember what I changed.

-Jeff

Mike S said:
I am not familiar with the specific camera you mentioned, but it sure looks like a common problem with SLR cameras, that is the mirror doesnt retract all the way.

Is this a SLR?? Dosent matter is film or digital.

Is the problem only with flash??? If so, then the mirror is not the problem.

If this happens both with and without flash, I would check the mirror, assuming your Rebel is a SLR.

Mike
I am pretty certain the digital (Rebel) and other SLR digitals operate almost identically to an SLR film camera - except of course that there's a light sensing chip in place of the film.

Low Pass said:
I am pretty certain the digital (Rebel) and other SLR digitals operate almost identically to an SLR film camera - except of course that there's a light sensing chip in place of the film.

Correct, I just dont know if the Rebel is a SLR.

The photos posted show a classic mirror retraction problem. (And depending on the shutter design, another source there.)

I am saying this because the first 3 or4 responses only dealt with flash problems, but the photos look like a mirror issue.

The problem ONLY occurring with flash would rule out the mirror, however.

Mike

bad pics

A camera dealer told me about a similar problem in a Canon that had not been used for awhile. The shutter is a vertical travel two-curtain device just ahead of the sensor. If the 1st curtain is sticky and slow you might get something like your pictures. For his customer the solution was to send it back to Canon for service and then plan to exercise the shutter regularly. Let us know what it turns out to be. Good luck. Bill

Sorry the reply is a year late... the photo problems were due to a slow shutter. Some part of the shutter wasn't retracting fast enough, blocking the image sensor... the problem sort of went away after taking a few hundred photos at high speed.

My experience with Canon service has been very positive. Just give them a call at the number listed on the Canon USA web site and they'll set you up. I had a defective first generation Rebel that would not fire the flash and they repaired it in a week free of charge. I also had a PowerShot that was not in warranty with a broken screen that I paid to have fixed by Canon service, and although that one cost me the turn around time was quick.

I've now owned six Canon cameras including three D-SLRs and investment in lenses aside I'd still be a Canon customer for life because of the good service. I can't say that the other companies are bad, but Canon has impressed me in the couple dealings I've had with them. Your millage may vary of course. :)

My Canon A2E (35mm!) did exactly the same thing. I'd bet it's a bad shutter. A new one cost about $100 (five years ago) to have installed & should get you working again.

I had about 60,000 pix on my Digital Rebel before I sold it (still working well) & just hit 42,000 on my Rebel XT. The shutter should be good for 100k+ photos, but things like dirt/sand/beer can cause it to fail prematurely.

Call Canon or visit their web site & ask for a service center that can fix a bad shutter.

EDIT: Hmmm...missed your "fixed it" post. :D

Back