What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can it be safe to buy an older, cheap RV?

Duncannon

These days it’s getting harder to find an RV under $100k, but occasionally there will be one for around $60k give or take, usually a 90’s model RV 6 or 9 with steam gauges.

For someone with a low budget, could it be safe to buy such an aircraft? Naturally I’d have someone experienced with Vans do a thorough pre-buy, check the logs to see if it’s been sitting, etc. I have no plans to ever get IFR rated, so steam gauges don’t bother me. I use ForeFlight and have an Aera 500 as backup if the iPad/stratus goes dark.

I’d prefer an RV 9, as the controls are less sensitive in straight & level flight. Also I don’t do aerobatics. But I’d gladly take a 6 as well. An RV 3/4 can also typically be bought at an affordable price, but I’m likely too tall (6’3”) to fit in those unless the cockpit was customized, and I wouldn’t be mechanically inclined to customize it myself.

In the certified world, you have to be on high alert when you see something like a Skyhawk or Cherokee etc. for a dirt cheap price, as there’s usually a reason. There are buyers who ended up buying money-pits and could’ve saved in the long run buying a $100k+ aircraft. Of course, other than outdated avionics and lackluster paint, some aircraft are in otherwise good condition and pilots who didn’t mind those conditions have been happy with their purchase. So how goes it with RVs?

Last edited:
Find a well built, sound Airframe and you can work with that. Engines can be overhauled, avionics can be added, and paint and interior as desired as budget permits. If you start with a well constructed Airframe, then any improvements made will be a sound investment. Trying to salvage a bad construction job can be costly and time consuming.

My 2c...
Several ways to think about it:
-Older can mean it will break sooner
-Older can mean it has been proven
-Older can be cheaper just because newer designs are more desirable
Pre-buy diligence is the only way to know what you are getting. And that is no guarantee that something expensive or dangerous won't pop up in short order. I believe every airplane purchaser should be somewhat prepared to take care of something expensive should it pop up. And be prepared to deal with an emergency each time they fly.
One advantage of an RV over the average GA aircraft is that they are newer. The oldest RV is likely decades newer than its "affordability equivalent" GA plane.
The experimental has a cost advantage for an owner that is mechanically inclined to do the maintenance.
With regards to safety: Yes, I believe an older RV can be as safe as a comparatively priced GA plane. Back to pre-buy diligence: "Certification" means nothing in and of its self with regards to safety. Neither does an CAW... I feel no increased confidence in the fact that a certified aircraft (from B-777 to C-152) has no passenger warning sign. And I have no increased concern that EABs do.
For the record: I own a -4 that is a very early example and has the optional (at the time) pop rivets used on the entire bottom wing skins. I've owned it for 3 years and have about 40K into it. I do acrobatics every time I fly. It is as solid and as safe as any GA I have flown and more so than many.
I would happily pay 50-55K for it today and would be getting a fair deal.
Good Luck! I hope you find the right plane for you and that you fly happily and safely everafter!!

These days it’s getting harder to find an RV under $100k, but occasionally there will be one for around $60k give or take, usually a 90’s model RV 6 or 9 with steam gauges.

For someone with a low budget, could it be safe to buy such an aircraft? Naturally I’d have someone experienced with Vans do a thorough pre-buy, check the logs to see if it’s been sitting, etc. I have no plans to ever get IFR rated, so steam gauges don’t bother me. I use ForeFlight and have an Aera 500 as backup if the iPad/stratus goes dark.

I’d prefer an RV 9, as the controls are less sensitive in straight & level flight. Also I don’t do aerobatics. But I’d gladly take a 6 as well. An RV 3/4 can also typically be bought at an affordable price, but I’m likely too tall (6’3”) to fit in those unless the cockpit was customized, and I wouldn’t be mechanically inclined to customize it myself.

In the certified world, you have to be on high alert when you see something like a Skyhawk or Cherokee etc. for a dirt cheap price, as there’s usually a reason. There are buyers who ended up buying money-pits and could’ve saved in the long run buying a $100k+ aircraft. Of course, other than outdated avionics and lackluster paint, some aircraft are in otherwise good condition and pilots who didn’t mind those conditions have been happy with their purchase. So how goes it with RVs?

I'm flying a RV-4 with over 3,000 hours that first flew in 1990. I've put about 500 hours on it in the last 3 years with only a couple of minor problems. RV-6s and 4s can be a bargin. Find a 4 to sit in.

My experience

I also was shopping for value in older 6s or in steam gauge 9s when I began my RV journey. I wanted the plane for traveling, including light IFR. I got rated in a steam gauge Cherokee so IFR on the round gadgets didn’t bother me. Aerobatics are not my thing.

Used 6s were relatively plentiful but build quality varied WILDLY. Pre-buys by a very RV-knowledgeable A&P saved me from TWO potentially disastrous 6s. One was so bad that the guy purportedly in charge of maintaining it (and who had signed off on several CIs!) sent me an apologetic email.

9s were much harder to find, showed less variation in build quality, usually were equipped with glass rather than steam, and didn’t stay on the market long. I was lucky enough to hop quickly on one that had older glass and good build quality. I assumed I overpaid, and I likely did, but it has still turned out to be one of my better investments. That’s a low bar of course. :)

I wouldn’t trade my 9A for the world, but I continue to think that a well built 6 with older avionics is the real value in used RVs. Just shop very carefully and suspiciously. You’ll want Vic Syracuse’s book and you sure wouldn’t go wrong hiring him to do any pre-buy inspections, either.

You seem to have the right approach. Buying a used 6 without a thorough pre-buy by an RV expert would be like playing Russian roulette with 4 rounds in the revolver.

I just saw an RV8 for sale around $85k. Of course 150hp, fixed pitch prop, and an engine model with a history of reliability issues, but they're out there.

After owning one I wouldn't buy another one unless it was inspected by someone I trust who has built a couple of them and can show me what the can of worms could be if I buy it.

I have helped 3 or 4 people find value oriented 4's and 6's. They can be found, but MUST have a thorough inspection by someone who understands RV construction. I have seen some really ugly stuff in those searches.

I have helped 3 or 4 people find value oriented 4's and 6's. They can be found, but MUST have a thorough inspection by someone who understands RV construction. I have seen some really ugly stuff in those searches.

Buy Vic Syracus's Books on finding problems and maintaining RVs.
Fly it to shop that works on RVs for prebuy inspection or bring a good mechanic that works on RVs with you.

Big plus is RV the owner like to work on his plane.

Your going to change the engine out so the focus is a quality airframe.
Avoid planes with aerobatic history they are much more prone to major cracks.

Chances are if looks clean outside and inside the cockpit it will be throughout no matter how dated.

Back