What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

C 653 cover strip

BGordon

Well Known Member
Good morning everyone,
I'm wondering about the cover strip for my slider canopy. I can't seem to find the part C 653 nor can I find where it says it needs to be fabricated. Did I miss something?
Thanks in advance
Brandon

Good morning everyone,
I'm wondering about the cover strip for my slider canopy. I can't seem to find the part C 653 nor can I find where it says it needs to be fabricated. Did I miss something?
Thanks in advance
Brandon
Did you find an answer? RV7 Slider. I've been digging through everything I have, and there is nothing labeled C653. If we had specs we could fabricate. Closest thing I have is a "AS3-032x1x48. I'd use it but I have no specs for the 653 and the 032 seems a bit thin for the application. Help!?

Last edited:
Mine's a tip-up, so I can only go by what I see on the drawings. But it doesn't show a layout or fabrication drawing for that part, so I'd have to assume it's already made. That's a skinny little piece of aluminum...any chance it might have slipped down next to another piece? Does it show up in your inventory list? If you can't find it nestled down in a hiding spot, Van's should be able to shed more light on it Monday.

All the -6, -7, -9 sliding canopies are the same.

It has been three decades since I fabricated this part on my RV-6. I think jehardy is correct and it is fabricated from AS3-032x1x48. I forget the thickness but 0.032 or 0.025 thickness sounds correct.

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 9.13.51 PM.png

All the -6, -7, -9 sliding canopies are the same.

It has been three decades since I fabricated this part on my RV-6. I think jehardy is correct and it is fabricated from AS3-032x1x48. I forget the thickness but 0.032 or 0.025 thickness sounds correct.

Good enough for me! Thanks! jim

Did you find an answer? RV7 Slider. I've been digging through everything I have, and there is nothing labeled C653. If we had specs we could fabricate. Closest thing I have is a "AS3-032x1x48. I'd use it but I have no specs for the 653 and the 032 seems a bit thin for the application. Help!?
Pretty sure this is it. Look up the part number in your builder instructions binder--it will identify the size and material of each part by part #.

I had this on my 6-A slider and got a 20 inch crack across the canopy through one of the rivet holes above my head on a cold day. I repaired the crack twice only to have it reoccur. I had seen some sliders without the strip and no rivets along the top bar. I replaced the plexi in the slider and did no put the cover strip back on. I have several years on the new canopy and it works fine. YMMV

I don't know where you would find it in the instructions, but when you can't find something like this, the parts index in section 4 is a good place to start

It shows this part number appearing on drawings 41 & 43 only and instead of saying "manufactured" (vans makes it) the part type is listed as "material" which means you make it. The raw material supplied is a piece of aluminum strap .032 thick by 1 inch wide by 41 1/2" long.

FYI- I looked at that print and considered aluminum skirts and screwing my canopy down for about 30 seconds before I scrapped that idea and went with Sika and fiberglass skirts. Godspeed soldier.

I had this on my 6-A slider and got a 20 inch crack across the canopy through one of the rivet holes above my head on a cold day. I repaired the crack twice only to have it reoccur. I had seen some sliders without the strip and no rivets along the top bar. I replaced the plexi in the slider and did no put the cover strip back on. I have several years on the new canopy and it works fine. YMMV
did you place any attachment at all on the spine then? Glue? One further issue I'm having now is that when the slider plexi is placed on the frame it sits more like a gull wing appearance. clamp one side, and the other stands up about 3 inches. Any recommended paths for relaxing it?

I did not use any attachment on the spine. The only hole is for the canopy latch. When working with the plexi make sure it is nice and warm (80 degrees plus). It is a balancing act to get a good fit so clamp both sides down and you may need some shims on front to get it to match the shape of the roll bar and rear to match the rear deck. Adjust (bend) the frame first to make the shape as close as possible. There should be some clearance between the plexi and spine when latched to avoid wear on the plexi. Canopies are quite challenging.

Back