What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Building RV12iS for fun and maybe profit?

Dwillows

Sponsor
I’m about 2/3 through building an RV12iS and enjoying it. Have built and flown a Glasair Sportsman TWTT, and owned and mostly maintained a C172 (with Franklin 220 and CS prop, wheels, floats, and amphibs). Am reaching an age (83) when I fly less and enjoy building more. My question is …… what is it like to build RV’s as an enterprise….. build one at a time and sell them?
I ask this because my kids, and grand kids have flown and built with me before and we’ve all enjoyed it (2 kids/grandkids now have Private licenses, and one more has Private, Instrument and Commercial).

Now another 25 yr old family member is interested to build and fly. Would it make sense to build 1-2 RV 12iS’s as a way to provide him with aviation experience, work on a Private license and earn a little money?

What do you think??

Although it's a matter of interpretation, to me it seems that as you'd be building because you enjoy it, and to let someone learn to fly, that you are indeed meeting the law. Selling the plane would be the way that you cope with the cost, since flying is getting less desirable. It lets you continue building even after one flies.

I'd say go for it.

Dave

Now another 25 yr old family member is interested to build and fly. Would it make sense to build 1-2 RV 12iS’s as a way to provide him with aviation experience, work on a Private license, etc. and earn a little money? If we sell the planes later and recover something for our effort, so much the better.

What do you think??

I think it is a great idea, but reasonable man theory applies. Do not loudly state "I am going into business building EAB planes for profit." I edited your last paragraph to reflect the proper attitude.

Building an RV-12iS, if built and certified as an ELSA, does not have to meet any major portion built by amateurs requirement, so it is one airplane that does make this legally feasible.
It is only aircraft certified as experimental amateur built that must meet all of the amateur built requirements

A review of FAR 21.191(g) seems to stipulate that experimental aircraft are constructed solely for education or recreation.
As Scott mentioned, an E-LSA RV-12 is certificated under 21.191(i)(2) rather than 21.191(g). An amateur-built experimental aircraft is constructed solely for education or recreation; but there are other types of experimental too.

Back