What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Building in self storage unit

rkensrud

Friend
We are moving and the next house won’t have garage space to continue my RV10 build. I’m on a long waiting list for a hanger.

In the mean time, looking for some ideas to keep the build going. I’m doing QB wings and fuse. Does anyone have experience renting a large self storage unit for building? Power, environmental and noise complaints come to mind as issues. But $230 a month for 15’x25’ seems like it could work.

You may need to check with the storage company to make sure you have electrical, etc.. and get their approval for running a compressor.

just be honest with the landlord. Tell him that riveting will be as loud as a practicing drummer. If he doesn’t care, you’re good.
This is what i did when i started my project in a old barn next to an old farm house (where the farmer‘s widow still lived).

A fellow -8 builder built his -8 in a storage unit. Same approach, no issues.

My only advice would be that you check whether within the storage perimeters you got water and restrooms you can use.
If not available, try to work something out with a restaurant or bar/pub in the vincinity. The closer the better.
Depending on how far the place is away from your home, it is second-best to end a building session just for a “call-of-nature”!

A tab comes in handy on several occasions.

I would think most of those places, if there's any power available at all, would have at best a 15 amp circuit and minimal lighting at best...so running some shop lights may not leave much juice left for other power tools.

I’m in an 18’ x 18’ rented garage. Think about parts and completed assembly storage. I’ve utilized the rafters for assemblies, etc., but that may not be available in a storage facility. Between the wing rack, workbench, parts rack, assembly area and rolling paint booth (built from a shipping crate), Things are getting snug. A second, smaller unit might be helpful.

Does anyone have experience renting a large self storage unit for building? Power, environmental and noise complaints come to mind as issues.
This is how we started our Zenith 801 project. No noise complaints because it was mostly pulled rivets, and there was a band next door. They were pretty good!

This is how we started our Zenith 801 project. No noise complaints because it was mostly pulled rivets, and there was a band next door. They were pretty good!
Vlad started in a Manhattan apartment, then a rented private garage.
I worked on a non RV in two different storage units. Both were double bays. Electric was marginal. Permission from owners in both cases. Gas powered compressors are one option.
Bathroom: large water bottle for #1. Walmart for #2

I've been building in a 20 x 20 storage space with power. I bought a lot of LED lighting so when I run power tools so I won't trip the breakers.
I leave most of the lights on all the time and put out lots of rat poison. Also sprayed for insects. No problems so far but very cramped working conditions.
Be sure to get builders insurance if your homeowners doesn't cover storage and check limits on liability

I’m in a 5mx5m (16ftx16ft) garage. With a 16A breaker. And while space is tight, especially with the wings in cradles and the fuselage being built, it’s doable.
When it comes to hanging the engine and prop, with the tail feathers on, it’s going to get really tight!
Power wise, with LED lights, I haven’t had a problem running the compressor.

You could also consider a shipping container. I had my project in a 40' high cube for a few years, and it was actually a really good compromise, and cheap. Sold the container after a few years for more than I purchased it for (I had added lighting, benches etc) The -8 fuselage is narrower, of course, not sure if this would work with the -10 or not.

My hangar has only a small lamp and no power outlets. but i drive an electric car, so I rigged up a 2000w inverter to my cars 12v output and I now have a mobile power station that can charge tool and even run a shop vac etc. As long as I don’t work too long that I can’t drive home again, which isn’t a huge risk as I’m exceedingly lazy.

You could also consider a shipping container. I had my project in a 40' high cube for a few years, and it was actually a really good compromise, and cheap. Sold the container after a few years for more than I purchased it for (I had added lighting, benches etc) The -8 fuselage is narrower, of course, not sure if this would work with the -10 or not.
Do you have any pics of that? I'd love to see your set up. I'm not sure how you did that. I go crazy at times building my -8 in a roughly 18' x 22' space. I couldn't imaging building in a 40'HC.

It might be worth bumming around your local airport to see if you can rent a corner of someone's hanger. It probably wouldn't work in a T, but the typical box hanger has 2 open corners that are often underutilized.

It might be worth bumming around your local airport to see if you can rent a corner of someone's hanger. It probably wouldn't work in a T, but the typical box hanger has 2 open corners that are often underutilized.
My city owned airport has a no sub lease clause in the contract and I wondered if that’s typical?

I've been scouring my computer for photos and I only have this one. Basically both wings vertical on stands, and fuselage on a rotisserie, there was actually plenty of room. Workbenches ran the full length of one side. (Sorry was supposed to be in reply to bmellis11)

Attachments

• F5149B92-B637-4F39-BA98-BEDA027DDF46_1_105_c.jpeg
    F5149B92-B637-4F39-BA98-BEDA027DDF46_1_105_c.jpeg
    229.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
We are moving and the next house won’t have garage space to continue my RV10 build. I’m on a long waiting list for a hanger.

In the mean time, looking for some ideas to keep the build going. I’m doing QB wings and fuse. Does anyone have experience renting a large self storage unit for building? Power, environmental and noise complaints come to mind as issues. But $230 a month for 15’x25’ seems like it could work.
Would you have to option of setting a small shed at the new house? In PA and other states, there are plenty of prefabricated sheds that they deliver onto a prepared base (typically crushed stone or gravel). If you stay under a certain square footage, it may only require a zoning permit and not a building permit.

Even a "storage pod" in the driveway would be a way to get started on the smaller sub assemblies....

Would you have to option of setting a small shed at the new house? In PA and other states, there are plenty of prefabricated sheds that they deliver onto a prepared base (typically crushed stone or gravel). If you stay under a certain square footage, it may only require a zoning permit and not a building permit.

Even a "storage pod" in the driveway would be a way to get started on the smaller sub assemblies....
My emp kit is done so I'm out of small things to do. When my QB fuse comes, one of the first steps is to attach the tail cone which will put me close to 18' long. Too much for a shed I'm afraid.

I’m in an 18’ x 18’ rented garage. Think about parts and completed assembly storage. I’ve utilized the rafters for assemblies, etc., but that may not be available in a storage facility. Between the wing rack, workbench, parts rack, assembly area and rolling paint booth (built from a shipping crate), Things are getting snug. A second, smaller unit might be helpful.
I was thinking I could add 1 or more smaller units to hold completed assemblies or the racks of parts I have not started on yet. I didn't even consider the paint booth side of it.

I didn't even consider the paint booth side of it.
I cobbled mine together from a shipping crate that still contains the QB wing sub assemblies. I put it up on moving dollies from HF, added some scrap plywood sides and a plastic sheet for the top. It is only three sided but good enough for priming. The dollies allow me to roll it into the assembly area when I need to access the parts storage racks along the wall.

Back