What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

BOO HOO

donaziza

Well Known Member
Being forced to sell my RV 8. The county where I'm based is forcing hangars 2 thru 8 out by Dec 31. About 10 airplanes. I guess per Dougie's rules, I can't name the county, but its a large airport on the northeast side of Atlanta. Hangar 1 where EAA xxx is located is exempt. I can only guess big money is coming in, thus why the county wants us out. (They're not talking) No other place to go, ie, no hangars available anywhere.
Well, I'm 81 now, I guess I shouldn't complain, I've had it 15 years and about 1100 hours in it, but its still very heart breaking---kinda like giving up your first born.:(

Been reading VAF here all these years. Best of luck to all you RV guys.:)

Have you seen what's happening in Las Vegas? The Super Bowl is coming to town, and tie-downs are being quoted at $3000.
LAS and (I'm guessing) Fulton County surely took FAA grant money, and accepted some assurances. I don't know how that plays out into forcing small planes out, but it might be worth a look - or at least a call to AOPA if you belong.

Eviction

We had a similar issue at FNL. 40 hangars. It turned into a huge, months long hornets, nest.

Get together as a group and attend the Commissioner meetings. Invite the press. Get AOPA involved.

Ultimately most hangars survived for a few years but I'm sure they will eventually push GA out in favor of large commercial operations. Pretty sad.

Oh, I forgot to mention, its already sold. Already talked to AOPA legal. They said there's nothing they can do. The county owns the land that private individuals built the hangars on, with a 25 year lease. The 25 years is now over with. Don't know why EAA xxx is exempt. We all feel like EAA threw the rest of us under the bus.

Last edited:
Don't know why EAA xxx is exempt. We all feel like EAA threw the rest of us under the bus.

I think perhaps this comes under the heading "women and children first". Perhaps not everyone can be saved, but at least there are SOME survivors.

My 30 year land lease hangar agreement expired in Nov 2022. They allowed me to continue renting, but at the highest rental rates in the NE. $600/month for a hangar with a 43 foot door. (The 48 foot doors cost $700/month) And even though I'm renting, I still have to pay County property tax on the unit. A true abuse of municipal government power.

Found out why some 10 airplanes including 4 RV's got tossed out of EAA ***' hangars,
2 thru 8. Turns out the airport director, ( The guy who threw us out ) is bringing in bigger money. One of them is Equinoxx Aviation. If one googles them, it says theye're into jet charter operations. I don't get it. The bi-fold hangar doors only go up some 12 feet. Can't get a twin's tail under that. What am I missing ??

Last edited:
Plug for the AOPA ASNV program

Really sad story, sorry to see this.
I wonder if there is/was an AOPA Airport Support Network volunteer for the airport. Maybe it wouldn't have helped in this case, but still, it's a good argument for getting involved with that program. Even if the airport isn't federally obligated, the "early warning" aspect can still be crucial, just someone paying attention to what's happening and taking action to head off bad things before the hammer drops. I can attest that "my" airport would likely not exist today if not for my and others' involvement in that program and ongoing advocacy for the airport in general. It's crucial to not just hope the status stays quo, but to keep your ear to the ground and get with AOPA, local or state or local officials, and other pilots to advocate for small GA on your airport at the first sign of trouble.

Really sad story, sorry to see this.
I wonder if there is/was an AOPA Airport Support Network volunteer for the airport. Maybe it wouldn't have helped in this case, but still, it's a good argument for getting involved with that program. Even if the airport isn't federally obligated, the "early warning" aspect can still be crucial, just someone paying attention to what's happening and taking action to head off bad things before the hammer drops. I can attest that "my" airport would likely not exist today if not for my and others' involvement in that program and ongoing advocacy for the airport in general. It's crucial to not just hope the status stays quo, but to keep your ear to the ground and get with AOPA, local or state or local officials, and other pilots to advocate for small GA on your airport at the first sign of trouble.

I did call AOPA legal. She said there was nothing she could do.

Yeah, And I thought of parking it outside. But who wants to leave their baby outside in the elements. We just had Noah's Ark rains here in Atlanta yesterday. Not really sure how waterproof the plane is, as I've never left it outside. I "do" know my forward luggage was not waterproof, as when I used a hose to wash the plane, my maintence logs got all wet. And being a VFR bird, I never flew in the rain.

I contacted the Airport Support Network guy for my airport about 4 months ago because half the runway lights at the airport were out of service and I had no success getting in touch with the airport manager, the city, or anyone else who might be able to help or at the very least tell me when I could expect the runway lights to be fixed. I got a short noncommittal reply a week or two later, but 4 months later, nothing has changed.

If I was looking for help, I'm not sure the ASN person would be it.

Well, if tens of thousands of still airworthy rental spam cans are any indication, an all aluminum RV will do just fine out doors for decades.

Back