What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bob Brashear

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
I received word today that Bob passed yesterday. What a HUGE influence in my early RV journey!!!! Bob rebuilt the carb on my first engine (He called me and said "I found your engine". He rebuilt diesel engines for Central Freight Lines for decades....he says he found your engine... you bring your checkbook), and I had the pleasure of visiting him a few times down at 'White Knuckle Airport' outside of Waco, TX. If memory serves Van brought the RV-6 prototype there once.

His WWII background was in the S.Pacific. He flew light aircraft with wounded patients in the back. He wasn't an 'official' pilot, but when his superiors found out he had a pilot's license before the war they put him to work.

The RV world got a little smaller today, and I mourn the passing of an RV elder. I believe Bob built the first RV-6 in Texas.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Brashear. And thank you for steering me on this path.

v/r,dr

Last edited:
Yep! Bob was a VERY early RVer. Made more than a few landings at "White Knuckle". When I built my airport, I tried to obtain the name but it was not to be.

Bob will be missed!

Very sorry to hear about Bob’s passing. He used to host an RV fly-in just after Sun-n-Fun for many years. Van stopped on his way home every year I attended in the late ‘80s/early ‘90s. I was building my -6 in San Antonio at the same time and would travel up to his home outside Waco to ask questions and take photos of his project. Given there was no internet back then, those photos, which I still have squirreled away, were worth their weight in gold.

I want to say I meet Bob at an early LOE.

Greats guy and great stories.

Boomer

I received word today that Bob passed yesterday. What a HUGE influence in my early RV journey!!!! Bob rebuilt the carb on my first engine (He called me and said "I found your engine". He rebuilt diesel engines for Central Freight Lines for decades....he says he found your engine... you bring your checkbook), and I had the pleasure of visiting him a few times down at 'White Knuckle Airport' outside of Waco, TX. If memory serves Van brought the RV-6 prototype there once.

His WWII background was in the S.Pacific. He flew light aircraft with wounded patients in the back. He wasn't an 'official' pilot, but when his superiors found out he had a pilot's license before the war they put him to work.

The RV world got a little smaller today, and I mourn the passing of an RV elder. I believe Bob built the first RV-6 in Texas.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Brashear. And thank you for steering me on this path.

v/r,dr
My uncle Noah McCullough and Bob Bashear built Blue Jeans my RV4. The legend is it was the first RV flown into Oshkosh. I still fly her today. Flew it to Petit Jean for the eclipse yesterday. I’m sorry to hear about Bob. We will try to fly down for his funeral in Waco.

Back