What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beware Garmin database subscription model change

Tim Lewis

Well Known Member
According to Garmin tech support, Garmin changed their aviation database subscription model about a month ago.

Previously, under the cycle based approach, if I had an active subscription and bought another year of nav data, the newly purchased data cycles would be appended to the active subscription. So if I had 3 months left to go on the active subscription on the date of purchase, I’d have 15 months of data after the purchase.

Under Garmin’s new model, a subscription purchased today ends 12 months from today. If I have an active subscription with three months left to go (for example), that doesn’t matter. My purchased subscription will still expire a year from today. Also, Garmin turns on annual “autorenew” by default when one makes a database purchase.

In my experience, it is easy to overlook the impact of this change. I noticed it only by using the Garmin Aviation Database manager in Calendar mode, where I noticed that my subscription was ending sooner than expected.

After over an hour on hold, I was able to sort this out with Garmin tech support.

Under Garmin’s new model, a subscription purchased today ends 12 months from today. If I have an active subscription with three months left to go (for example), that doesn’t matter. My purchased subscription will still expire a year from today. Also, Garmin turns on annual “autorenew” by default when one makes a database purchase.
I’m hopeful this is just some smart 29 year old MBA guy’s bright idea to boost the bottom line that Garmin will quickly reverse.

Carl

According to Garmin tech support, Garmin changed their aviation database subscription model about a month ago.

Previously, under the cycle based approach, if I had an active subscription and bought another year of nav data, the newly purchased data cycles would be appended to the active subscription. So if I had 3 months left to go on the active subscription on the date of purchase, I’d have 15 months of data after the purchase.

In my experience, it is easy to overlook the impact of this change. I noticed it only by using the Garmin Aviation Database manager in Calendar mode, where I noticed that my subscription was ending sooner than expected.

After over an hour on hold, I was able to sort this out with Garmin tech support.
As I read this I’m reminded of stores putting in self checkout lanes and putting it now on you to do their checkout job for them and then they still pay someone to stand around to help the self checkout challenged when the need arises.

Last edited:
…or like ”shrink size.” That pound of bacon is now 12 ounces… for the same price.
Thanks for the update as I’m about ready to get a new yearly subscription.

Thanks for the heads up. This kind of nonsense doesn't do much good for customer loyalty.

Good Morning All,

I wanted to address some of the concerns here. The changes we made were to introduce an auto-renewal software tool, so our pilots and maintainers do not have to navigate the database subscription purchase once a year. This has been a longstanding request to our product support team from our users. The databases do not cost any more or any less than before.

There are not any disadvantages to the new process, besides the transition to the new process, which is where some confusion will arise from. There are notifications across the flyGarmin website, including on the main landing page to bring awareness to the changes that have taken place, which link you to an FAQ and Video on the subject. If you were to run into an issue, we will of course refund the database cycles that were removed. We want to ensure you get what you paid for and will help you if you have a problem. From that point on, the subscription is on a yearly cadence, and there is no possibility of this happening again.

We apologize for any inconvenience the transition may have caused. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns, we can be reached directly at [email protected].

Thanks,

Justin

db.PNG

Good Morning All,

I wanted to address some of the concerns here. The changes we made were to introduce an auto-renewal software tool, so our pilots and maintainers do not have to navigate the database subscription purchase once a year. This has been a longstanding request to our product support team from our users. The databases do not cost any more or any less than before.

There are not any disadvantages to the new process, besides the transition to the new process, which is where some confusion will arise from. There are notifications across the flyGarmin website, including on the main landing page to bring awareness to the changes that have taken place, which link you to an FAQ and Video on the subject. If you were to run into an issue, we will of course refund the database cycles that were removed. We want to ensure you get what you paid for and will help you if you have a problem. From that point on, the subscription is on a yearly cadence, and there is no possibility of this happening again.

We apologize for any inconvenience the transition may have caused. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns, we can be reached directly at [email protected].

Thanks,

Justin

View attachment 60795
Has this been implemented? I click on the data base subscription page and I get “You do not have any active subscriptions to manage.”
obviously I do have subscriptions for both my G3X and my GTN XI

Has this been implemented? I click on the data base subscription page and I get “You do not have any active subscriptions to manage.”
obviously I do have subscriptions for both my G3X and my GTN XI
Yes. If you are selecting Manage Subscriptions, you will only find information about new subscription purchases. Your existing subscription can be reviewed under the Devices Menu > Device Management.

Thanks,

Justin

db1.png

Last edited:
How do I ensure that auto-renewal is off? I see nowhere that I can turn it on or off...and I don't like companies hitting my credit cards for hundreds of dollars without my explicit approval :).

How do I ensure that auto-renewal is off? I see nowhere that I can turn it on or off...and I don't like companies hitting my credit cards for hundreds of dollars without my explicit approval :).
Unless you purchased databases after the transition (March 12 2024), it is not enabled or able to be enabled. Auto-renewal is only available for database purchases made after the transition to the new system. The account setting to enable/disable Auto-renew is in the flyGarmin database subscription page, as described in the FAQ page we created to help with the transition.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Justin

My state doesn’t charge sales tax on databases, but Garmin does unless I order on the phone. Can I auto renew in a way that doesn’t charge me sales tax?

Back