What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best Tugs Aloha 3 value

Freemasm

Well Known Member
Best Tugs Alpha 3 value

My hangar neighbor voluntarily pulled the plug on his flying days. Sold his Cirrus. Was going to give the new owners the periphery stuff like tug, covers, life raft, etc but the aircraft school that bought it were such monster tools keeping payment dates/schedules he kept it.

Trying to help him out. Anyone have a idea what a:

Best Tugs
Alpha 3

Is worth? Recent battery and smart charger. I may wind up posting it on here for him but it’s
a good bit of overkill for most Vans AC except possibly a 10.

Any help I can pass along would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Do not know a lot about Tugs. My understanding is the BEST Tugs are the highest quality and work great. Aviation Consumer has an article on them and it appears that the one you are trying to sell sold for around $3,500 USD when new.

One of the online sites that sell used aviation stuff has a 2022 model listed for $2,999.

Typically I do not like to buy/sell used stuff at more than 50% of the price of new. When something is in demand and or hard to get, then people like me are required to pay more / sell for more than they like for used products.

I have a neighbor that has a remote controlled battery operated tug that he wants to sell that has a value around $5,500. It has rubber tracks and loads and unloads itself without needing to operate pins to attach it to the airplane.

Best tug

Can’t say enough good things about Best tugs…

You should easily be able to get more than half the new price as they typically do not come up used very often. I prefer the B5 or better for my -10 but I have a bit of a grade and it can get slippery in the winter.

Probably won’t be on the market long!

Easily 3k. I have one and love it. Very well built machine. You will be better off selling locally because shipping is very expensive after you crate it. They make attachments for any airplane you wish to move with it so it can be used for anything that weighs 3600lbs ish or less. It also has an option for different wheels if you use it in grass.

Batteries are run of the mill lead acid. Nothing special there so if anyone says it should be cheaper because of batteries going bad I’d just look up what new ones cost. They are not exotic.

For anyone who said 50% of new value, you are speaking from the buyer’s perspective. Sellers should ask for what the market will bare. It’s only fair for everyone.

Definitely not overkill for an RV-8a, makes moving the aircraft very pleasant and I can move it to the fuel tanks to refuel/tow back to my hangar.

Attachments

• IMG_4407.jpg
    IMG_4407.jpg
    511.3 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
My son bought us an A3 for our RV-10 and after using it for a year and a half i must say that you definitely get what you pay for in one of these. This thing is very well built and has no problem with our -10. I made a set of tire chains for winter use and it will easily pull through snow and ice.
Not sure what the going rate new is on these but for anyone who knows what they're getting they should not have a problem paying at least 75% of the new price.

My son bought us an A3 for our RV-10 and after using it for a year and a half i must say that you definitely get what you pay for in one of these. This thing is very well built and has no problem with our -10. I made a set of tire chains for winter use and it will easily pull through snow and ice.
Not sure what the going rate new is on these but for anyone who knows what they're getting they should not have a problem paying at least 75% of the new price.

Out the door shipped to the east coast with sales tax was about $4500

This thing is very well built and has no problem with our -10. I made a set of tire chains for winter use and it will easily pull through snow and ice.

Ice and snow (Minnesota) is the main reason I bought the thing. It has no trouble tugging in snow, but the glare ice was problematic. I asked them about chains but they recommended against. Instead, Paxton Patey recommended that I just drive some hex-head sheet metal screws into the solid rubber tires. That took about 10 minutes and works very well. I thought I'd pull them out come spring, but that turned out to be unnecessary.

Attachments

• IMG_0817.jpg
    IMG_0817.jpg
    562.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Back