What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best Airport for RV Trip to Portland?

R

Rutus

I have a seminar in downtown Portland this Friday, Laurie and I plan to fly down Thursday, weather permitting. Hillsboro (KHIO) looks best, with a MAX train that can take us right to downtown Portland by our hotel. Any recommendations on which FBO is best, and/or where to tie down? Are there other airports that would make for an easier connection by taxi or public transit into downtown Portland?

If weather doesn't cooperate we'll take the 911, but I'd rather fly. :)

Flightcraft at PDX is where I stay. $10 per night. Excellent security. Ramp is manned 24 hrs with cameras, controlled access, etc. You can take the MAX from the PDX passenger terminal. Less than 100 yd walk to the terminal then perhaps another 75 to the train.

If weather doesn't cooperate we'll take the 911, but I'd rather fly. :)
I'm not sure a 911 is my definition of a bad weather machine; I still drive an Audi that I bought when I lived in Oregon. :D

HIO is a good facility, crosswind runways, an ILS and no commercial flights. The MAX into downtown is a little slow (45 mins or more), but sadly it beats driving on the west side during rush hour.

TTD isn't quite as close to downtown as HIO, but the traffic is generally lighter on the east side. Cheaper fuel.

PDX is closer but your time on the ramp might be longer and you tangle with commercial traffic. Flightcraft is the only FBO there, so be prepared to pay $$, but service has been good. MAX goes from PDX as well, every 15 minutes, and it's 35 minutes to downtown.

Not sure if there is an obvious choice - kind of depends on your arrival direction and willingness to deal with approach ATC.

TODR

Don't forget about Pearson Field in Vancouver(KVUO), just across the Columbia River from Portland, in the shadow of PDX. A great small field with some RV activity.

Flightcraft at PDX is where I stay. $10 per night. Excellent security. Ramp is manned 24 hrs with cameras, controlled access, etc. You can take the MAX from the PDX passenger terminal. Less than 100 yd walk to the terminal then perhaps another 75 to the train.
Users on AirNav report that FlightCraft will take you to the MAX station at the Terminal and confirm the $10/night fee. Sounds like it might be the best bet if you're going downtown.

Alcladrv mentioned Pearson, which is indeed close, but I have no idea about the transportation there.

From my last trip there a few weeks ago, but sadly in a MD80, not an RV:

hood_clouds_web.jpg

TODR

PDX is closer but your time on the ramp might be longer and you tangle with commercial traffic. Flightcraft is the only FBO there, so be prepared to pay $$, but service has been good. MAX goes from PDX as well, every 15 minutes, and it's 35 minutes to downtown.

I have never been delayed in or out. I call approach 30 out and I have always gotten direct to the airport to report base. Faster than doing the entry to an uncontrolled field. $10 per night is pretty cheap for around the clock security, line service and cameras on your plane all night long. Can't even park your car in the parking garage for that. I do always call first to make sure ramp space will be available. If something is going on they might be full.

Love that Northwest Weather...

Thanks for all the tips. Right now, weather looks to be low ceilings, wet, and possible low (1000 MSL) freezing level during the planned trip window.

ARRGHH!!! Being a VFR pilot in this area really s**ks in the winter.:mad:

I'll probably go to PDX and use Flightcraft if the weather allows the trip. I learned to fly at Boeing Field in Seattle, and still go over there from time to time, so the PDX Class C and traffic should not be too much of a challenge.

Gotta work on that instrument rating....:cool:

Indeed

With MEA's starting at 3000' in the PNW and going up from there for terrain, An IFR rating is still nowhere near a year round ticket for flying up here.

I would still think twice about shooting an approach into PDX, a 500ft ceiling would be my personal minimum...Remember your flying the same glideslope as the heavy iron...

"Caution wake turbulence"...Yipes!

Frank

Prog Charts - Ugh....

Looking like a moot point now, with the prog charts over the next few days showing a nasty low up in the Gulf of AK, cold front coming in from the Pacific and lotsa rain/snow/sleet in the PNW and icing a bit higher up.

So the tea leaves indicate a 911 trip instead. And, even if it were flyable, Laurie will enjoy driving a lot more than a murky VFR/SVFR trip. And a happier wife in Portland means a better stay in Portland.....:p

PDX Has Landing Fees... I Like Stark Twin Oaks

I like Stark Twin Oaks (7S3), nice little family owned field, with very reasonable fees and fuel. They have always waived my tie down fees when I buy fuel.

Hans

I like Stark Twin Oaks (7S3), nice little family owned field, with very reasonable fees and fuel. They have always waived my tie down fees when I buy fuel.

Hans

PDX does not have landing fees for RVs. There is a $10/day ramp fee. Does Twin Oaks provide 24h ramp security; 24h controlled ramp access; 24h cameras on your plane to make sure no one touches it? Oh and very nice lounge, flight planning area, upscale facilities that are maintained to cater to the private jet crowd. Very nice of them to let us use it all for only $10.

Last edited:
PDX does not have landing fees for RVs. There is a $10/day ramp fee. Does Twin Oaks provide 24h ramp security; 24h controlled ramp access; 24h cameras on your plane to make sure no one touches it? Oh and very nice lounge, flight planning area, upscale facilities that are maintained to cater to the private jet crowd. Very nice of them to let us use it all for only $10.

Nope! They have a house. The airport office is in the dining room. It is the home of EAA 105, the Home Wing of Vans Air Force. It's the place that Van himself flys into for pancake breakfasts. There is a pilot pilot lounge that caters to the non-jet crowd. You certainly wouldn't be the only RV there.

Note: My Avatar was shot at Twin Oaks.

--Bill

Thanks for all the tips. Right now, weather looks to be low ceilings, wet, and possible low (1000 MSL) freezing level during the planned trip window.

ARRGHH!!! Being a VFR pilot in this area really s**ks in the winter.:mad:

I'll probably go to PDX and use Flightcraft if the weather allows the trip. I learned to fly at Boeing Field in Seattle, and still go over there from time to time, so the PDX Class C and traffic should not be too much of a challenge.

Gotta work on that instrument rating....:cool:

If you were an IFR pilot would you fly in that weather? :eek:

We were just out there for transition training and Scappoose (KSPB), located northwest of PDX by about 15 miles, had 100LL for $4.25 a gallon. My CFI said it normally has the cheapest gas around.

Former Resident

That is why I am a FORMER resident. Great area around Seattle, but I could never seem to get airborne enough. Hangar was too far with traffic and too many clouds, icing and high mountains. Bad combination.

Visiting portland for Fri night

So,

I'm a little concerned about my ability to get out of the bay area VFR as early as I'd hope on Sat (going to BC). So I'm thinking about leaving work early tomorrow and spending the night in Portland. If I fly into PDX any recommendations on a hotel/area to stay for nice dining/walking around tomorrow night?

Scappoose Creek Inn, a little further north

I'm a little concerned about my ability to get out of the bay area VFR as early as I'd hope on Sat (going to BC). So I'm thinking about leaving work early tomorrow and spending the night in Portland. If I fly into PDX any recommendations on a hotel/area to stay for nice dining/walking around tomorrow night?

Kevin - it's a little further north and more rural than walking around Portland, but if they have a room open, you could land a little north of Portland at Scappoose and walk across the street to the Scappoose Creek Inn B&B. I stayed there when I did my transition training with Mike Seager and a friend of mine has stayed there a couple times when travelling in his RV-6. It's a nice stop and convenient to the airport.

You can check out their web site at:

http://www.scappoosecreekinn.com/

Have fun and fly safe!

come to Bend- fuel is cheaper than portland, (5.40 vs 4.00) and i can put you in a primo house on the river in the Old Mill district with transportation to and from the airport. The old mill district has nice restaurants, and pretty trails all along the river. from redding to portland if you come through bend it adds less than 20 miles.

Thank you all for your kind advice and offers. Alas, I couldn't get internet access in time to see them. ;-)

I'm spending the night in the Doubletree hotel just outside of downtown in Portland. The light rail system here rocks - straight from the FBO to my hotel to a really tasty sushi place to a brew pub to my hotel. ;-)

I think I'll bring my wife to visit a friend in Portland on the next trip. Oregon is awesome.

Next stop BC.

Thanks again.

Back