What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bench power

rwarre

Well Known Member
I have a 13 volt 3 amp power supply. Is that sufficient to run the g3x on the bench prior to hooking anything else to it?

I have occasionally power up avionics on the bench to update firmware or just to do a quick bench check. The power supply that I use is specifically made for Ham radio enthusiast and electronics repair benches. Its not terribly expensive. But, it does cost a bit more than those cheap power supplies sold on Amazon.

But, if you've arleady got a 12 vdc deep cycle battery sitting on the shelf, why spend more money on something you're only gonna use a few times?

I have a 13 volt 3 amp power supply. Is that sufficient to run the g3x on the bench prior to hooking anything else to it?
Personally, I would be very cautious about supplying any power to the G3X if if hasn't been properly configured so not to damage it and void the warranty. I purchase my avionics from SteinAir and I know they bench tested the system with all LRUs connected with their harnesses before shipment.

Regardless of what you use, make sure it is fused to the wire size feeding the device being tested. If that’s a bare battery, it is especially important or you could turn the wire into a very impressive, and fiery, fusible link.

Back