What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery Tender hookup kit

glen25781

Hey guys,

I have a battery tender for my 6A with alligator clips but would like to have a hookup to leave on the battery with a quick disconnect. I know there must be some on the internet but not sure what would be the easiest to install. Something with enough length to run under the seat to the baggage compartment would be ideal. Anybody have a setup that works well? The battery box is certainly a pain to access.

Glen

My solution is a bit runny...

My RV-8 battery is mounted aft. I started out with the Battery Tender ringed pigtail connected to the battery and stowed behind the removable aft baggage floor/cover. I eventually routed it out of the bottom corner of the cover so I didn't have to remove the cover to connect to the battery. This was still a bit awkward, so I bought a longer aftermarket pigtail, wrapped it in rubber hose to protect it and routed it up to the left side of the passenger seat, hoping I would be able to connect it without having to move the passenger seatback. This didn't quite work out as hoped, and the fourth photo shows the current setup. I may end up fabricating a bulkhead plug to make everything easier and sturdier, but this will suffice for now.

Attachments

• battery tender lead.jpg
    battery tender lead.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 152
Look at this site -they sell Anderson connectors. I have a large one, so I can jump the battery if needed, but have the smaller connectors for just shore power and charging. I got a hand full and make my own connectors. They wedge together. Once you like the connection, a touch of super glue will make it permanent.

https://powerwerx.com/anderson-powe...mLOcI04GtwoBZgh7bLofnsmyo-mqAUwRoCmHUQAvD_BwE

You stated "battery tender" but if your battery is an Odyssey, you should use that brand charger matched to your battery. Many years of reports show leaving a tender on all the time leads to premature failures.

The Odyssey website has a downloadable manual with valuable information.

Last edited:
I just use Molex connectors and some 20-gauges wire connected through the oil door direct to both batteries. I used them for the Odyssey float charger, ground power, or my cool-down fan.

2cents

+1 for the Odyssey charger and Anderson connectors. Easy to fabricate your pigtail, get Anderson connectors to fit wire heavy enough to carry charging amperage, and they’ll “key” to assure correct polarity.

KISS

Battery tender JR comes with this, super simple, wire that in somehow and you're good to go.

Attachments

• DEL-LUGS.jpg
    DEL-LUGS.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 234
Those Anderson connectors seem like overkill for a battery tender. I used one of the Battery Tender plug connector kits on my motorcycle and it seems to work fine. On previous motorcycles I've also used molex connectors. Just make sure the connector contacts are rated for the charger output whatever route you take.

Back