What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bahamas treasure cay tips???

RickWoodall

Well Known Member
Hit most of the out islands over last 8 trips. This year want to knock off Treasure cay. Anyone have any tips or suggestions on places to stay? Always find boots on the ground pireps better than tripadvisor reviews. Cheers. Looking early may.

Have been there twice but both times stayed on Green Turtle, the last of which was not too long after they were devastated by a hurricane. At that time there was nothing left on the airport but an RV for customs, and most of the island was covered in blue tarps. I am not sure what options are there currently, but if the Bluff House is open, we had a great stay there. Rented a small boat to use to explore the area for the week. It's a short ferry ride from Treasure Cay to Green Turtle.

Chris

thanks

Thanks, seems most of the places are back to good shape. Happy if quiet, just trying to find a spot for 2-3 couples to rent for 3 nights or so that other pilots have been to and give their thumbs up on. Cheers,

Looking to fly into Treasure Cay (MYAT), first trip over extended water in the 14. I know about lack of fuel and limited tie downs and that's OK. Customs from C-7 or is C-7A ok? Type of flight plan needed direct into MYAT? I know Freeport has different requirements and seems most think that's a waste of a stop. This will be a quick exploratory trip to just see what it's like before making an extended trip this fall. Thanks !! PIREP's welcome.

And then there's this requirement for Experimentals......??

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-04 202936.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-05-04 202936.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Looking to fly into Treasure Cay (MYAT), first trip over extended water in the 14. I know about lack of fuel and limited tie downs and that's OK. Customs from C-7 or is C-7A ok? Type of flight plan needed direct into MYAT? I know Freeport has different requirements and seems most think that's a waste of a stop. This will be a quick exploratory trip to just see what it's like before making an extended trip this fall. Thanks !! PIREP's welcome.

And then there's this requirement for Experimentals......??
They'll tell you what forms you need to fill out there, no stress.

IFR or discrete squawk code to clear the ADIZ, customs sticker on the plane via DTOPs.

As far as flying in basically nothing to do on the bahamas side other than filling out forms when you land. Bring cash, the fees all always different.

Us is where you gotta do eapis in and outbound, notice of arrival to us customs 1 hr before your proposed arrival time.

Mia airspace stops at 7k, below that you're on your own

Treasure is a great stop. We are here now. It did suffer a lot of damage but you can get what you need here. Suggest renting a place with a kitchen and golf cart, and bringing in basic groceries from US with you. Super laid back customs, super easy paperwork. Flying into Marsh and renting car to drive might be good option, as easy to supply in marsh, and allows you to explore a bit. Treasure is worth the visit.

Treasure is a great stop. We are here now. It did suffer a lot of damage but you can get what you need here. Suggest renting a place with a kitchen and golf cart, and bringing in basic groceries from US with you. Super laid back customs, super easy paperwork. Flying into Marsh and renting car to drive might be good option, as easy to supply in marsh, and allows you to explore a bit. Treasure is worth the visit.
We just got back from Marsh Harbour. First time to fly a light plane there. Stayed a week and had a great time. Rented a house with private beach via VRBO. I think next time I'd fly into Treasure Cay and stay on Green Turtle. We very much enjoyed our day there. Flying in/out was super easy. I got the Bahamas Pilot Guide from AOPA which has a wealth of info. No one checked any of our documents except Passports. I brought a bunch of cash also, as advised, but was mostly able to use credit card. We cleared Customs on return via KSUA (Stuart). Nice, quiet Customs facility which I would recommend. Only downside was we had TWO flats on our rental car. Seems to be a problem on the islands with a lot of nails/screws scattered all over from the hurricane.
All the RVs are wonderful aircraft, but the RV-10 never ceases to amaze me!! What a great traveling machine!! Fully loaded, climbed right up to altitude (11500') and still 200mph...with fixed gear!!! Wow!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2140.jpeg
    IMG_2140.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2138.jpeg
    IMG_2138.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2146.jpeg
    IMG_2146.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2167.jpeg
    IMG_2167.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_9531.jpeg
    IMG_9531.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 68
Thanks everyone for the input. I'm assuming being an experimental not an issue?
No issue at all. Google Bahamas Civil Aviation Department...look for "A special airworthiness certificate-experimental, for the purpose of operating Canada or United States-Registered amateur-built aircraft in Bahamian airspace". I printed this and had with my document files just in case. No one asked to see anything except our Passports. I would still have all your ducks in a row, just in case.

They'll tell you what forms you need to fill out there, no stress.

IFR or discrete squawk code to clear the ADIZ, customs sticker on the plane via DTOPs.

As far as flying in basically nothing to do on the bahamas side other than filling out forms when you land. Bring cash, the fees all always different.

Us is where you gotta do eapis in and outbound, notice of arrival to us customs 1 hr before your proposed arrival time.

Mia airspace stops at 7k, below that you're on your own
I have flown in my RV-14 to Eluthera twice in the past two years with the last in March of 2024. I would encourage you to get the AOPA Pilot Guide for the Bahamas. It covers all the requirements for flight to and from the Bahamas. It also has helpful information on the airports and fees.

When you return to the US, the procedure has recently changed. Instead of notice to customs 1 hour prior to arriving, you must now notify them at least 4 hours prior to leaving the Bahamas. I would encourage you to call the specific customs office where you will be clearing back in to the US to discuss their procedures a few days prior to leaving the US.

We thouroghly enjoyed our trips and will be going again. It is surprisingly easy to fly to and within the Bahamas.

I was there a few weeks back - Fort Lauderdale customs had their cranky pants on tight and I got a good dressing down on the phone calling to advise of an arrival 1.5 hours in the future from Nassau. They said "1 hour is A MINIMUM, we want 24 hours, do it right or don't do it".

The above poster notes they want 4 hours minimum - I'm quite certain the guy I spoke to on the phone said "we want 24". That occurred on April 14 clearing back into the US. I second the recommendation to call ahead and find out the "today" requirements.

Last edited:
I was there a few weeks back - Fort Lauderdale customs had their cranky pants on tight and I got a good dressing down on the phone calling to advise of an arrival 1.5 hours in the future from Nassau. They said "1 hour is A MINIMUM, we want 24 hours, do it right or don't do it".

The above poster notes they want 4 hours minimum - I'm quite certain the guy I spoke to on the phone said "we want 24". That occurred on April 14 clearing back into the US. I second the recommendation to call ahead and find out the "today" requirements.
It's ridiculous that we even have to call, that's the whole point of EAPIS. It is a 4 hr window now as opposed to an hr. They told me last time I was in Palm Beach, but nothing in writing so.....

I have found CBP offices to mirror the FAA. For the most part, friendly, courteous, and helpful and will return the friendly attitude. That said, ask the same question several times and you will get several different answers. Their offices each have different opinions of the rules. And call ahead and let them tell you what “they” would like.
I have an overflight letter so usually just fly straight home and use our CBP from the port.

CBP....here is a first for me. So this is trip 10 to Bahamas. I know KFPR customs changed and now wont accept arrivals before 11 am. That is a problem but is what it is. So filed Eapis, and called Customs to arrange an 11 arrival. When they answered they told us hard no, they will tell us when we can land....and 1 is the very earliest spot. Our buddies got 1:15 and 1:30 They will only allow 4 planes per hour to land and thank GOD we called early the day before. If I had left it till tonight, they surely would not have any slots. I asked if weather or winds affected arrival do we have some play, and was told no, be very close to arrival slot or face fines. That is crazy. We used to land at 9 or 10am and be on our way back to Canada easy peazy. Now lucky if we can get back in the air by 2pm to start the travels. Seems they are really making GA island runs a battle.

I'm leaving in the morning and will report back my luck with CBP. So far it feels each CBP port is its own little area of process and rules. Hours and time of operation are all over the place. Some use a decent voice mail system to get to the correct department, others just have one leave a voicemail and who know when that gets listened to. Others have you call a number and that goes to a general CBP head office who have no idea what the local CBP office you are calling about is even open. Will update in a few days when I return.

Below is a nice one pager listing the minimum requirements and decent to formulate a check list.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-05 200527.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-05-05 200527.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 57
I have found CBP offices to mirror the FAA. For the most part, friendly, courteous, and helpful and will return the friendly attitude. That said, ask the same question several times and you will get several different answers. Their offices each have different opinions of the rules. And call ahead and let them tell you what “they” would like.
I have an overflight letter so usually just fly straight home and use our CBP from the port.
More details on the overflight letter? It's been decades since I did a Bahamas trip but I feel one coming on - since I didn't get to sail there this winter :(

When our home airport was KSFB we used to get an overflight letter. Needs to be done in advance and is good for a calendar year.
KFPR can be some grumpy pants to we tried to avoid.
Letter allows you to use a customs airport that is not an AOE.
Sanford has a large customs as it is an international airport but is not an AOE. I think the letter must be a specific airport with customs and there needs to be a reason to not use the AOE. If I remember, they allowed economic. Less fuel as a reason.

More details on the overflight letter? It's been decades since I did a Bahamas trip but I feel one coming on - since I didn't get to sail there this winter :(
I shot you a private message. The letter is actually good for 24 month.

KFPR can be some grumpy pants to we tried to avoid.
Yup! Got that tshirt :). In fact, my current image to the left was sitting in front of customs there, before getting out of the airplane, at which time the frown of unfriendliness started.

I can send you my overflight request letter I can initiated back in 2016. Mine was a request to land at PIE(Clearwater/St Pete airport) The only downside it was only available during the week & not weekends.

I can send you my overflight request letter I can initiated back in 2016. Mine was a request to land at PIE(Clearwater/St Pete airport) The only downside it was only available during the week & not weekends.
Got the deets from widget, thanks!

there seems to be a lot of mis information here regarding the overflight exemption letter.
important to note that it only applies to IFR flights, VFR is not approved, and unless instructed by ATC, maintain an altitude above 12,500 feet
it allows landing at any airport where CBP services are normally available
mine stipulates when it expires, which is 26 months after the date it was issued

Terms of Use

I. All operators are required to transmit applicable Advance Passenger Information System (APIS) data for all travelers aboard General Aviation aircraft (commercial and private) arriving in or departing from the United States. With the transmission of complete, correct, valid and timely APIS data for all travelers aboard, the holder of this Overflight Exemption may utilize it to arrive: • with no passengers; • with passengers already listed within an existing overflight exemption; or • with passengers not listed within an existing overflight exemption.

II. When utilizing this Overflight Exemption:
• an electronic or paper copy of this letter must be maintained onboard the utilized aircraft;
• a copy of this letter must be presented upon arrival for CBP inspection;
• only aircraft approved though APIS and capable of complying with regulatory flight behavior requirements may be utilized;
• only pilots and crew approved through APIS may be utilized;
• operators of exempted aircraft must utilize a transponder that reports aircraft position and altitude (i.e., Mode C, Mode S);
• operators of exempted aircraft must fly in accordance with instrument flight rules (IFR) - visual flight rules (VFR) flights are not eligible; and
• operators of exempted aircraft must maintain altitudes above 12,500 feet mean sea level (unless otherwise instructed by Federal Aviation Administration controllers).

III. Through the terms of this Overflight Exemption the operator is authorized to overfly the designated CBP airports listed in 19 CFR § 122.24(b) – from any and all foreign points – to any airports where CBP services are normally available and permission to land has been secured.

IV. After a compliant APIS manifest has been transmitted, the aircraft commander, operator, or authorized representative must secure permission to land directly from the U.S. CBP port of arrival as applicable under 19 CFR §§ 122.12, 122.14, and 122.15 and must provide advance notice of arrival in accordance with 19 CFR § 122.31.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection U.S. Department of Homeland Security TECS - General Aviation Processing (GAP) - Overflight Exemption Letter 03/06/2023 11:52 EST Generated By: DIANNA SULLIVAN

Last edited:
That form expired 12 years ago. I am not aware of that being revised or an updated one is available. The only one I am aware of is the requirements I posted above For the overflight exemption letter through homeland security. Please correct me if you are aware of something different currently available.
View attachment 62398

You're correct. Sorry, I hadn't noticed the expiration date, although it has similiar elements as my 2016 approved request.
Best to go to CBP or FAA sites to get current regs.

Back