What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Automotive Relays

Can't see a reason why not, but hopefully those relays are individually readily available just in case one of them gave up so you can just replace the relay instead of the whole assembly which would be more pain.
I have used automotive relay for higher amp circuits and have not had a single failure, yet.

For relays and switches I go to Allied Electronics. I look for coil current to hold, contact rating (amps) and contact material (coin silver). Some specs also list MTBF cycles.

Carl

Thoughts on electronic components

If you purchase commercial components like relays, switches and connectors through a reputable supplier like DigiKey, Allied Electronics, etc you may be buying components that are adequate for use in EAB aircraft depending on your mission and your own judgment. For example - I used NKK S series switches for my RV-7A. Before making that decision I purchased a couple of selected switches, took one apart to look at the construction and internal workings and left another sample outside in the weather over the winter and then disassembled it see how it had held up. After feeling pretty confident about the results of inspection and tests I ordered the full complement of switches I needed. The questions to ask are - is construction design,quality and repeatability across a batch of parts sufficient for the intended purpose.
I repeated the process for industrial quality master and starter relay solenoids. After cutting open a couple of samples I decided to purchase PMA quality parts that were significantly more expensive but much higher quality. Sometimes you cant tell much without looking inside the package. Of course- if you dont know what you are looking at or dont have experience with parts in question then it may be best to stick with established quality and PMA’d parts.
Keith Turner

Back