What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ATSB recommends upgrading 7A and 9A nose gear

I built a -7 but IF I was building a -7A or a -9A, I would certainly add the new nose gear. AND if I was in the market for a -7A or -9A, I would definitely be looking for the upgrade.

Elastomeric

I upgraded before installing the FWF stuff. Money well spent.
Vans has a retro kit as well.

Video shows a bounce on dirt leading to collapse.
Don’t bounce.

Yes, it did bounce, but it didn't look anything overly dramatic or super careless. It looked to me like something that anyone with any amount of experience might do on occasion. If the gear really needs such delicate, refined attention to be safe, as the proponents of "better training" insist, then it isn't up to the normal range of human use. Of course, every nose gear ever designed has been bent by inexperience and rough usage, but at some point of accumulated evidence, the design must be questioned. This is why Vans has updated the design several times up to the most recent rubber shock version and why two transportation safety boards have cared to comment. My opinion.

The RV6 gear was/is not as good as the 7/8 gear, plus aircraft sits lower.

I was flying my 7 way before all this "delicate" nonsense came about, and trust me, I did some pretty good carrier landings on dirt/grass with no issues.
It's definitely NOT delicate, I proved that to myself (not always intentionally), maybe not a good idea to try it but it suffered no damage.

Changing to the new engine mount is quite a bit of work, if I ever have a couple of weeks with nothing to do I might do it, it's definitely a better design and more robust.

PS: check out the nose gear 'sticky' thread in maintenance items.

Elastomer Nose Gear

I was super lucky after I had already ordered my firewall forward kit, that Vans called me and asked me if I wanted to order the new firewall that had a elastomer nose gear that they were developing to address the old nose gear problems. I didn't even look at the design when I told them I absolutely would prefer to have the new nose gear. It has been flying about 150 hours now and I am so glad I have that instead of the old design. It is much beefier and the articulating nose gear absorbs the energy of touchdown very well. I have used my GoPro on many landings and the nose gear behaves like a nose gear should. Having said all that I still fly the airplane like it had the old nose gear. Keep the nose off as long as possible.
In the video the first landing is almost flat on all three wheels. On the second landing after the bounce, the nose gear might actually be touching down before the mains and digging in. At any rate neither landing is textbook and puts a lot more stress on the nose gear than needed. At work we have a mandatory go around after any bounced landings. The history of doing damage to the aircraft after trying to recover from a bounced landing forced several air carriers to adopt the mandatory go around stance. IMHO it is way less dangerous to go around than trying to fix a bounced landing in an RV.

Hard Second Touchdown

Yes, it did bounce, but it didn't look anything overly dramatic or super careless.

If you watch how much the main gear flexes on the second touchdown, it would appear that the touchdown after the bounce is very "firm" and there appeared to be little attempt to continue to hold the nose off...

Skylor

The RV6 gear was/is not as good as the 7/8 gear, plus aircraft sits lower.

I was flying my 7 way before all this "delicate" nonsense came about, and trust me, I did some pretty good carrier landings on dirt/grass with no issues.
It's definitely NOT delicate, I proved that to myself (not always intentionally), maybe not a good idea to try it but it suffered no damage.

Changing to the new engine mount is quite a bit of work, if I ever have a couple of weeks with nothing to do I might do it, it's definitely a better design and more robust.

PS: check out the nose gear 'sticky' thread in maintenance items.

One thing that keeps getting ignored when this topic comes up is this issue really became an issue AFTER Van's switched from a Cleveland nose wheel to the Matco wheel and axle system that allowed the axle to flex and pinch on the bearings that caused the wheel to stop rolling.

There sure didn't seem to be a problem with the RV6A for the first 10 years of it's existence..... not like the 7A that also got the Matco wheel changes along with the last of the RV6A models.

Notice on the event at about 23 seconds that apparently an AntiSplat attachment sacrificed itself and saved rest of the airframe.

Nose wheel

"One thing that keeps getting ignored when this topic comes up is this issue really became an issue AFTER Van's switched from a Cleveland nose wheel to the Matco wheel and axle system that allowed the axle to flex and pinch on the bearings that caused the wheel to stop rolling. There sure didn't seem to be a problem with the RV6A for the first 10 years of it's existence..... not like the 7A that also got the Matco wheel changes along with the last of the RV6A models."

I put the wheel bearing mod from antisplat in my 6A and it includes a spacer that makes a solid axle which eliminates all of the problems with the Matco wheel. I recommend that modification over replacing the entire nose gear. When I was at Alan's getting the mod done, he showed me some of the bearing spacers from wheels he had modified. Some of those spacers were heavily abraded and the only way they could spin is if the wheel bearings locked up. If you are still using the Matco wheel where the torque on the 3/8 axle bolt creates the bearing preload, definitely make a change.

NEw nose

I used the new nose gear and the Berringer front wheel with sealed cartridge bearings. It seems very robust.
The Berringer front wheel is not very expensive, unlike the mains.

Notice on the event at about 23 seconds that apparently an AntiSplat attachment sacrificed itself and saved rest of the airframe.

Not so sure about that, there are photos before and after :23 that show that airplane on it's back.

And the ATSB used video of my superior take off skills without my permission, I will be expecting a round trip business class ticket to Sydney in my inbox. :D

One thing that keeps getting ignored when this topic comes up is this issue really became an issue AFTER Van's switched from a Cleveland nose wheel to the Matco wheel and axle system that allowed the axle to flex and pinch on the bearings that caused the wheel to stop rolling.

There sure didn't seem to be a problem with the RV6A for the first 10 years of it's existence..... not like the 7A that also got the Matco wheel changes along with the last of the RV6A models.

Bingo. Problems really spiked after the 7A and 9A came out, and all but disappeared once people got rid of the flexible axle design. I contacted the NTSB investigator who looked into the spate of tip-over accidents ~10-15 years ago. Crickets. The ATSB video all but proves the bearing was locking up.

Video shows a bounce on dirt leading to collapse.
Don’t bounce.

Ok so don’t ever bounce and you’ll be fine right? I’m assuming you’ve never ever had a balked landing then? Does someone who bounces deserve to have their aircraft flipped and them sent to the hospital? I don’t see this happening on Cirrus, Diamond, or Cessna aircraft and those are used for primary training with students that fly them hard.

New 7A Nose gear

I have the second generation nose wheel gear leg and nose wheel fork. I've also updated to the Matco axal that eliminates bearings being over torqued. I have a lot of hours on the plane with this combination with no issues, but I am very carful about doing full stall landings, holding the nose wheel off until the elevator runs out of authority and always putting the nose wheel down SLOWLY...

The question I have is what does the new nose wheel upgrade kit have in it? Will the cowl have to be replaced? How big of a job is it to make the switch back to a flying aircraft?

At the end of the day what price do you put on your own life when there are additional measures available to lesson the risk? We do all sorts of things in life to lesson the risk to our own safety. It’s not just about a ‘controlled’ landing at an airfield it’s also the off airfield arrivals that would be very risky in an A. Sure a proper conventional U/C is no guarantee that you wouldn’t get flipped in an off field arrival but I know which one I’d rather be on if it ever comes to that!
Whilst I’d never own an A (ugly as, to me) I’d encourage anyone to do what they can to keep flying safely with extra protection as much as possible -)

Last edited:
I wonder if this will ever be adopted to the RV8A? I know it is extremely tight in that area as it is now with the nose gear. When I first got into RVs I always noticed how very fragile the design was compared to what I was used to which was a DA40 with a very beefy front nose gear and donut shock to absorb the bumps.

I don't believe that Vans have ever stated that the latest spring design nose gear leg is inadequate for any of the -A models.

And then there is how good is good enough? After 2135 Hr without the new gear????

At the end of the day what price do you put on your own life when there are additional measures available to lesson the risk? We do all sorts of things in life to lesson the risk to our own safety. It’s not just about a ‘controlled’ landing at an airfield it’s also the off airfield arrivals that would be very risky in an A. Sure a proper conventional U/C is no guarantee that you wouldn’t get flipped in an off field arrival but I know which one I’d rather be on if it ever comes to that!
Whilst I’d never own an A (ugly as, to me) I’d encourage anyone to do what they can to keep flying safely with extra protection as much as possible -)

My nose gear experience

Several years ago coming back from Airventure I stupidly overloaded my cargo compartment giving the aircraft an aft cg - still within limits (just barely) for my intended flight home. This wasn’t a problem until I got low on fuel after having to fly to a second airport because the intended refueling stop ran out of gas just prior to my arrival.

Landing at the second airport, aircraft fuel levels were now below six gallons and aircraft cg was definitely aft because as we landed the aircraft started porpoising on the runway. I immediately executed a go around.

Second and third attempts only got worse as additional fuel was burned and cg moved further aft. Finally for the fourth attempt (my friend and passenger - who was a former Reno Air Racer) recommended I trim full nose down and keep it there throughout the approach, landing and taxi to the fuel pumps. This additional nose down elevator authority stopped the porpoise problem and allowed the aircraft to safely land. Thankfully an antisplat nose gear brace was installed because I’m sure the nose gear would’ve collapsed during at least one of the three failed landing attempts without it.

Point being that porpoising an aircraft (or other excessive nose gear loading) can happen unexpectedly from a number of causes (often pilot induced) with the outcome resulting in a collapsed nose gear and possible aircraft flip.

Fast forward to last summer at Airventure: after landing and following a marshaller’s guidance, I taxied into an unmarked concrete abutment in the grass, came to an abrupt stop with the aircraft nosing over and almost flipping upside down. This time the antisplat met its match and bent backwards along with the nose gear bending aft significantly on both ends of the antisplat brace but not collapsing! Prop strike did occur!

During the nine month repair process by Myers Aviation at Oshkosh I looked into having the new Vans nose gear assembly with required engine mount replacement installed but the additional expense was quite significant. I decided replacement of the original nose gear assembly with a new antisplat brace was more cost effective because of my previous experiences with the old antisplat brace. It definitely saved my bacon - twice!

If people aren’t going to install the more robust nose gear offered through Vans I recommend they, at a minimum, install an antisplat nose gear brace. The existing nose gear, by itself (IMHO), needs to be beefier.

Great replies no need for me to say something (but it's not going to stop me) :D

First who is Australian Transport Safety Bureau and "Urge". about 15 yrs late. The nose gear "limitations" are well known by now. ATSB has no authority.

People now understand that the original works but is subject to failure and possible nose over. Soft/Rough FIELD, Ham-fisted landing, overloaded.... etc.

I would not hesitate to fly a RV7A/9A with original gear off of hard surface not at gross Fwd CG.

NEW GEAR is better but not impervious to the above issue issues on Soft/Rough field, ham fisted landing, PIO (pilot induced oscillations or proposing), overload.

NEWS FLASH... RV's are not ROUGH FIELD PLANES, especially the Model A's. The Tail dragger RV's are not really rough field planes either with 5.00-5 mains. YES you can fly off of smooth firm dirt or grass all day... I am talking about off field unimproved flying. However a big Mole or Gofer mound or hole, big rock in tall grass could ruin your day.

The "LAMB" Cheng Shin 11-400 X 5 is even smaller than 5.00-5 and NOT great on dirt/uneven/gofer holes/mole mounds/Rocks.... Sure a lot of Cessna's use 5.00-5 nose gear wheel/tire, but the gear is stout. Even so many Cessna have had firewall wrinkled by the pilot biffing it on landing.

Look at a Piper 6.00-6, all three wheel tires.... Not that a Cherokee is a soft field king, 6.00-6 is better than the 5.00-5 (or Lamb Cheng Shin).

Most of the Model-A RV gear folds are due to poor uneven soft surface or pilot landing fudge up/POI or both. There are cases of gear folding with neither of these. The aftermarket solution is a band aid, but better than nothing I suppose, short of replacing the nose gear with the new design.

If your RV A-model is built, flying and you are only going off / on hard runways as a slick land-O-matic pilot, leave gear alone (except may be anti-splat thing). If building convert if you have the original design kit. If buying a used RV A-model sure look for the improved gear. However if price is right I'd consider the older design A-model. I am all about tail-wheel plane and not going to buy an RV. However I am a CFI and fly in A-Models.

THE NEW GEAR has had issues/incidents. A new gear can't protect you from all landing sins or really poor surfaces. It really is up to the pilot to fly the plane within limitations. No gear can forgive all pilot sins.

Last edited:
Watch the video starting at :42, you will see that the nose tire hits nothing. What made it tuck under? The wheel was in a bind. The load that the pilot applied to the nose axle by landing on all three,(the video shows the plane was not in a flare, so it was landed too fast and hard) caused the axle to bend and bind the bearings so they could not spin. That caused the tire to drag on the ground and pull the gear back just enough for the front of the fork to dig into the surface and cause the spring steel gear leg to give way to the momentum of the speed and mass of the aircraft.

If you really want to know what flipped this RV, find out what wheel assembly was installed on it.

Since the first RV7A flipped (again, due to a fast bad landing) there has been very confusing information from Van's about how to set the taper bearing play. Cleveland wheels, like on Warriors and C150's have Timken tapered bearings. To set these bearings, you seat them, back off the nut, and then snug just past finger tight. THAT'S IT! This only works on an axle that does not flex. When Matco wheels were chosen for their value, the axle configuration changed. And with that change came bearings that were spinning the race in the wheel instead of the bearing due to a grease seal that was part of the bearing. Many changes happened after that, and the pre-load on the bearings came into view. Spacers were added so people could just TORQUE DOWN the bearing and walk away. So now you have at least two ways to set the nose wheel bearing, and doing it the wrong way can get you killed.

Put the same Matco wheel axle assembly from the first RV7A, on the NEW current nose gear and you will have the same problem. The new gear looks to be very robust, but that's not the problem. If the front of the fork is snagged on the ground due to a dragging wheel, a flat tire, or even a hole, it will dig in.... if you are lucky, it will just skid along the blacktop or dig a trench in the dirt.... I guess we will never know. Because they don't use that wheel axle assembly anymore.

If you fly an RV6A or an early RV7A, and you have a Matco nose wheel, make sure you upgrade the bearing axle to the latest configuration. And make sure you understand the way YOUR bearings are to be set.

He wins the 2023 award for best comment.....
gmc.JPG

Here is the axle Matco wheel assembly that you need to replace.

If your nose wheel/axle assembly looks like this... replace it NOW!!
Please note date of blueprint.
nose.JPG

Here is a picture of a nosewheel on a -10 from quite some time ago. Person filming the aircraft's first flight heard tire chirping on takeoff, notified the pilot that he perhaps had a brake hanging up. The aircraft landed on pavement, locked up the nosewheel on rollout, and then taxied back to the ramp as if nothing happened. I don't know what the bearing and axle design is on this early -10, but if you ever needed a smoking gun, this is it.

For the newcomers here with tricycle gear, this should be mandatory reading.

Attachments

• RV10 nose tire skid.JPG
    RV10 nose tire skid.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 206
The wheel, axle, and bearing setup Warren illustrated really is awful as delivered, and it's not going to get better just by hanging it on a different nose leg.

I recently machined a center spacer for one, carefully dimensioned for length, meaning the axle bolt can now be tensioned without regard for binding of the bearings. Comments?

Quote from video:
Vans advise upgrading axle to U-00710 / U-00711

Where in the vans service letters/docs is this recommendation? I've read the advise on setting preload, and have a machined spacer between my mushrooms which lets me torque the bolt while keeping the wheel free, but can't see a vans recommendation to change to this axle system.

The wheel, axle, and bearing setup Warren illustrated really is awful as delivered, and it's not going to get better just by hanging it on a different nose leg.

I recently machined a center spacer for one, carefully dimensioned for length, meaning the axle bolt can now be tensioned without regard for binding of the bearings. Comments?

Good move. I did exactly that for 3 or 4 RV7/9A's back 15ish years ago. I recall we used McMaster shims for final tweaking of bearing fit.

I made the evaluation it was trouble before all the 7A and 9A flip-over accidents started building. An initial clue was that people were having trouble keeping the "mushroom" parts from rotating...uh-oh, locking/jamming bearings are the only possible thing that could do that.

As flip-overs began to build, it was very obvious something was amiss when so few flip-overs had occurred with the most prolific model, the 6A. And, while I did do the leg shortening/new fork modification, I do not believe it is a factor. Once the process starts which would cause the fork to make contact, it's game over.

I did same 18 years ago after just a couple landings on my 6A when seeing that the pucks rotated.

Someone mentioned it earlier but I can't praise the Anti-Splat bearing mod enough! If you want to fix the axle issue, go send your wheel off to Anti-Splat and have the bearing mod done. It removes virtually all rotational resistance, you can torque the axle to your hearts content, and there is virtually zero maintenance to do!

This mod will likely save you from changing your front tire as often too. 400 hrs now on the -7A and the nose wheel still looks like the day it was born.

https://antisplataero.com/products/nose-wheel-bearing-mod

I'm sorry but I can't bite my tongue any longer. 38 posts about the deficiency of the airplane when the pilot clearly landed improperly ON THE NOSE WHEEL.

Nose wheels are for taxiing, NOT LANDING. I had this drummed into my head over 56 years ago when I learned to fly.

There may be deficiencies in the nose wheel design, but that is not what caused this accident.

OK, I'll shut up now and you can continue with ideas to fix the airplane and not the pilot.

You fly with a helmet and wearing a bailout rig too? Also what Mel said.

I wonder if this will ever be adopted to the RV8A? I know it is extremely tight in that area as it is now with the nose gear. When I first got into RVs I always noticed how very fragile the design was compared to what I was used to which was a DA40 with a very beefy front nose gear and donut shock to absorb the bumps.

I also wonder this. Anyone from Vans paying attention?

I am a big fan of the matco axle upgrade. It is quite thick (almost 2") and robust and has a separate nut for setting the proper bearing preload without the need for inadequate torque on the fork/axle sandwich. Was only $65 a few years ago and an EXCELLENT upgrade for those without a lathe in their hanger. I also was not a fan of the 3/8 bolt with spacers as an axle design. iMHO the design of this matco part eliminates the risk of the wheel locking up as discussed earlier, as it would take many tons of force to bend a 2" thick 6061 axle with a 3/8 steel bolt in it's core.

FWIW, I have now had two of my children learn to fly in the 6A with the supposed weak nose. With proper training and pilot technique it is not an imminent risk IMHO, though it is a weak point in the planes design that MUST be respected. I agree that many of these curled nose leg accidents are pilot induced, though it seems that the design IS intolerant of gopher holes and other such runway problems and one should understand that and apply the appropriate caution. If I flew from a rough grass strip routinely, I would likely consider the new gear leg design, as it seems more tolerant of rough strip issues. I says "seems" as I have no idea how much more tolerant it is.

Last edited:
Of course they wouldn’t say it’s an issue. Self preservation. Reference Boeing’s 737 max.

Long term Van’s employee here…
I own an RV-6A that I rebuilt after someone else put it on its back.
It has the standard nose gear.
Even has the original (taller) nose gear fork :eek:.
I land on grass almost every time I fly it (home airport has a paved and a grass runway).

I have no issue or concern (I know how to land it properly)

The new nose gear wasn’t developed because the original was bad. It was because it could be made better… to a point that provides more safety margin for the broad range of experience in the pilots that choose to fly them.

I am a big fan of the matco axle upgrade. It is quite thick (almost 2") and robust and has a separate nut for setting the proper bearing preload without the need for inadequate torque on the fork/axle sandwich. Was only $65 a few years ago and an EXCELLENT upgrade for those without a lathe in their hanger. I also was not a fan of the 3/8 bolt with spacers as an axle design. iMHO the design of this matco part eliminates the risk of the wheel locking up as discussed earlier, as it would take many tons of force to bend a 2" thick 6061 axle with a 3/8 steel bolt in it's core.

FWIW, I have now had two of my children learn to fly in the 6A with the supposed weak nose. With proper training and pilot technique it is not an imminent risk IMHO, though it is a weak point in the planes design that MUST be respected. I agree that many of these curled nose leg accidents are pilot induced, though it seems that the design IS intolerant of gopher holes and other such runway problems and one should understand that and apply the appropriate caution. If I flew from a rough grass strip routinely, I would likely consider the new gear leg design, as it seems more tolerant of rough strip issues. I says "seems" as I have no idea how much more tolerant it is.

For people that may not know…
Van’s sells a solid axle that is very similar to the one from Matco. It may be standard in finish kits for a while now, but not sure.

Basis for advice?

I received an email direct from the ATSB "urging" me to "consider" the new style nose gear on my -6A. Well, I did actually consider it, about 2 years ago.
The most recent landing incident in January 2023 that presumably led to the current ATSB advice was not actually investigated by the ATSB, apparently. There is no record of that incident on the ATSB website. The previous incident that is aired in the video is from 2017. So it is not clear how the recommendation has been informed.

It is clear though that the new style nose gear will not necessarily prevent a flip, as has occurred when the pictured -14A touched down short of the runway threshold. Fortunately, there were no serious injuries.

I do think it is important to fit the solid axle to the nose wheel, apply the Vans service bulletin for the leg/fork (SB 07-11-09), keep the tire inflated and fly/use the nose wheel properly as recommended by Vans.

Attachments

• 14A2.jpg
    14A2.jpg
    652.4 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Incorrect comment about the RV-14A

Hi Paul,
The RV-14A pictured did not “touch down short of the threshold “, it collided with the threshold with such force as both lower wing skins where punctured by the main wheel pants as the undercarriage did its job and absorbed an enormous amount of energy.

It is credit to Van’s Engineering and how strong this model of aircraft is and a design that when it all goes wrong, progressively fails absorbing energy protecting the pilot.

Last edited:
The stance of Van’s Aircraft remains the same. If flown properly the older Wittman-style nose gear will be fine. The reality is that pilots do not receive proper training. Mike Segar and I presented an EAA webinar called Critical RV Flying Skills that all RV pilots should be aware of. https://www.eaa.org/videos/6155295734001. In short RV Pilots especially those that have bought a used aircraft do not practice slow flight, they land too fast, they balloon on landing, they bounce in a landing, and do not go around. Rember this one thing, if the landing is not going well, go around. After the first bounce, the airspeed decreases to the point that the pilot is unable to maintain a nose-up pitch attitude. The aircraft comes down on the nose gear at an angle that will create a significant drag load. This causes the gear to fail in an aft direction.

Since the failure is related to drag any contributor to the drag force will reduce the failure margin. Here are areas that may increase the margin.

Anti-Splat
The Anti-Splat system stiffener may give slightly more margin to this failure mode but in many cases, it will not prevent the failure. We have documented cases of nose gear failures with the Anti-Splat system installed that still resulted in a flip-over accident. What is unknown about the Anti-Splat system is the long-term affects on the gear fatigue life. The gear was re-designed in the late 90’s and early 2000's because the first-generation gear was failing in fatigue where the gear entered the socket. Anti-Splat stiffens the gear which moves the point at which the gear will flex upwards towards the socket. This may affect the fatigue life of the gear. So far, we have not seen any fatigue failures with Anti-Splat installed. Overall know that Anti-Splat will not cover up poor pilot skills. If you are uncomfortable landing, then get training and practice as mentioned in the webinar above. If you really want more margin, install the new gear design.

Nose Wheel Clear of Ground
Keep the nose wheel off the ground after touchdown until just above the speed at which you can gently lower the nose gear (too slow and the nose will fall as the tail becomes ineffective at low speeds).

Just as important pilots should lift the nose wheel as soon as possible as they start the takeoff roll. This helps the nose wheel from a loads standpoint but even more important our aircraft is a free castering nose wheel. It is amazing the number of pilots who hold the nose gear on the runway as they were taught in training with a Cessna.

For aircraft with a steerable nose wheel keeping the nose wheel on the ground is normal and stable. Free castering wheels are unstable as they remain on the ground and go faster. As soon as the nose wheel lifts the rudder becomes much more effective because the nose wheel is no longer inhibiting the rudder from moving the nose. There is more directional control lifting the nose wheel as soon as possible. Also at this point, you are not looking for a speed to rotate, instead, you are looking outside the aircraft down the runway and waiting for the aircraft to lift itself off the runway. Since RV’s have a power-to-weight ratio greater than most certified aircraft there is no issue with lifting off this way and then needing to push the nose of the aircraft down. You may keep the same attitude and continue to climb. This takeoff method is similar to a soft field takeoff. Takeoff distances will be significantly shorter holding the wheel just off the ground than holding the wheel on the ground until a rotation speed is achieved (if you believe this is not true it is because you may be holding the nose wheel too high off the ground).

Lifting the nosewheel clear of the ground should be used for every takeoff regardless of the runway surface type.

Tire Pressures
Use the correct nose wheel tire pressure. Too low of pressure and the friction is too high creating a large drag force. Too high of a pressure and the tire is more likely to shimmy.

Nose Wheel Axel
Older installations used spacers on either side of the nose wheel. These would in some cases rotate with the wheel. To prevent this, builders would tighten the nose wheel axle bolt creating extra rotational friction of the wheel as the spacers add side pressure to the nose wheel bearings which are not meant to be loaded in this direction. To eliminate this as a problem we have introduced a new nose wheel axle. This axle was designed after a review of other axel replacement solutions on the market. All builders (even if they will not be replacing the nose gear) should upgrade to the U-00710 and U-00711 axle system.

RV-8A
Van’s Aircraft has not retrofitted the new nose gear system on the RV-8A for two reasons. First, the number of these models is very low. Due to the low number of 8A’s flying or the type of pilots that are attracted to this aircraft, we have not seen failures on this model. Again, we feel the old nose gear design is adequate if flown properly. Our RV-7A demonstrator still uses the old-style gear and is regularly used for transition training. Some of us who work here who own RV A models also use the older style gear. Pilot training is key.

New Nose Gear System
Scott McDaniel’s post already reflects the viewpoint of the company, “The new nose gear wasn’t developed because the original was bad. It was because it could be made better… to a point that provides more safety margin for the broad range of experience in the pilots that choose to fly them.”

One builder has noted the RV-14A flip-over accident in Australia. See Ashley Miller's post in response to this. The flip-over accent in this instance was driven by a number of factors noted by Ashley in which any aircraft may flip over. It is important to note that there has been an RV-14 landing documented in a field and in another instance, the nose gear struck a large rock on an unimproved strip. The nose gear as intended in these instances failed at the top of the post which holds the isolators then folded under the aircraft. These aircraft did not flip over. There is far less chance of the aircraft flipping over with the new gear style. Therefore, if a pilot truly wanted more margin, they would retrofit the new gear style. We designed the RV-14A for FAR23 loads for the training environment to be sold after the implementation of MOSAIC. To meet the ASTM F37 F2245 requirements the design is inherently stronger than the previous design which reflected the era in which it was designed.

ATSB Video
The opinion of ATSB to recommend upgrading to the new style nose gear is their own. The new nose gear will give more margin. Also, awareness about proficiency issues that cause poor landings will result in pilots thinking about how they fly even if using the old nose gear. Pilots also should use the new axle and correct tire pressures. The ATSB video raises this awareness. For this reason, I did review and give guidance to the ATSB in making their video. Van’s Aircraft actively works with transportation safety boards worldwide. We all want to see aviation become safer, which ultimately keeps the price of aircraft lower and prevents insurance rates from escalating. From that standpoint, we are all in this together.

Rian Johnson, President Van's

Last edited:
Back