What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Area restrictions for test flights

Greg Arehart

Well Known Member
Perhaps some of the DARs out there can provide some info for me. I'm about to get inspected (Monday) and need to ask for airspace in which to do phase I testing. The "standard" area is 50 nm circle around my airport. What is the rationale for this size test area? I would like to ask for a larger area for two reasons. First is the high performance aspect of the RV - pretty easy to cross a 50 nm circle fairly rapidly. Second is that I am in Reno at 5000 feet and need to break in a new engine, which would be better done at lower altitude. Closest low spots are in CA central valley, which is about 100 nm from here.

So, any ideas whether (and how) to get a larger test area? How about an irregular-shaped area? I haven't seen anything in the regulations that specify the details of the test area.

thanks,
greg

I asked for an offset area when I had my 7 certified and was given it. It is up to whoever issues the op limits. 25sm from a point is pretty standard for propeller driven aircraft. Good luck.

I requested and got an irregular shape, that followed desert along the edge of mountains and the freeway. My farthest airport was about 100 miles away. I was also dealing with airport altitudes above 4000' msl.

L.Adamson ---- RV6A

We were given an irregular shaped area with our airport being in one corner and flying away from any congested areas.

Your request should have been spelled out on the 8130-6. My DAR worked with me on mine and, from what I hear, the FSDO will basically go along with anything that isn't stupid. Since everything around Flagstaff is trees and mountain, I asked for a triangle that included Valle and Winslow because they both have good, flat areas to land out on if necessary. The third point was Cottonwood, so that I could get lower to help break in the engine (in hindsight, I should have asked for Prescott). There wasn't any question; the DAR showed up with the Operating Limitations typed up and referenced my request in them. You should contact your DAR now to be sure that it's not too late; I think once the FSDO accepts your application you can still ask to amend it but your DAR is the one who can tell you for sure.

Edit: As Mel pointed out it's the Program Letter, not the 8130-6, where you specify your planned test area. Gee, it seems so long since I did this... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Greg,

Check out my article in January Kitplanes. I cover this very subject. Your DAR has a certain amount of freedom for assigning flight test area as long as it is "reasonable." The area does not have to be a circle, and it does not have to be centered on your home airport. It just has to be clearly defined.
I typically give a 75 nm. radius plus an airport or two outside that radius for RVs. Call your DAR and discuss it with him.

Thanks for all the info. I have the FAA coming, not a DAR, and he seems reasonable so I will ask and see what he is willing to give. He's already mentioned that he recognizes the high-performance nature of RVs and the need for plenty of space. First flight next week if all goes well!

cheers,
greg

Great. The inspectors are usually cooperative if they know what you want. Good luck.

Great. The inspectors are usually cooperative if they know what you want. Good luck.

Yep - The FAA gave me essentially all of northern CA outside of populated areas. I faxed em a sectional with my request and they said no problem. (Oakland FSDO)

A picture is worth a thousand words. I made a copy of my operating area in my local sectional map and outlined my requested area on it. Gave my DAR a better idea of what I was requesting. Could prove to be more convincing than describing the area you want to operate in.

So, here was my experience. I asked the FAA guys for a larger area and the reply was "standard is 50 nm." No joy arguing about needing to test at lower altitude, and break in engine at lower altitude. At the last minute, I mentioned that my buddy around the corner had received 100 nm (and from one of the two FAA guys that was there). Second FAA guy says to the first "is that true?" First guy says "yes, it was a high-performance airplane - Greg, how does yours compare to his?" To which I responded "its basically the same airplane" (which is true) and so the second guy says "so you can have 100 nm."

Helped make my day and gives me room to breathe. And now there is clear precedent for a larger test area for RVs, at least out of the Reno FSDO.

greg

Ask for it

I asked for a larger area. I printed out a map, used a highliter and drew it out. Normally he gives a 25nm circle and rv's get a 50nm circle. Problem is there are not many airports in those circles and 1 is class C and in a large city.

I asked for roughly a 90 by 90 nm square and got it. I now have somewhere around 17 airports in it. I consider this an improvement in safety.

My base airport is close to the eastern edge of the box and goes west. A very large portion is over the Mississippi delta there is very little there.

If you make the request reasonable with justifications that includes safety, I'm willing to bet you can get what you want.

Back