What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AOA vs Stall switch question

Brantel

Well Known Member
Working on closing my wings and a question popped into my mind:

On the 12-IS with the G3X system, how are the alerts/annunciations/tones handled when it comes to the AOA system vs the mechanical stall vane switch?

On the 12-IS with the G3X system, how are the alerts/annunciations/tones handled when it comes to the AOA system vs the mechanical stall vane switch?
I have the Dynon, I guess it works the same; you'll hear both at the the same time. It was annoying for me and I disconnected the stall warning vane

I set the AOA on my Dynon D-180 to indicate ON-SPEED during approach. Without looking at the screen, a slow beeping sound indicates that I am at the correct AOA (approach speed). The frequency increases as the AOA increases until the beeping sound becomes a steady tone at stall AOA. I agree that the AOA and stall vane alarms are annoying. But they have kept me from stalling and spinning in. One time I made a tight turn in the traffic pattern which caused the AOA to start beeping even though the airspeed was well above straight-and-level-stall airspeed. So I reduced elevator back pressure.

One RV8 builder mounted an LED light on top of the glare shield and it's lit up when the stall vane activates, right in the sightline of the pilot.
I have problems hearing the buzz of the stall vane in the noise cockpit environment. So you can have the auditory signal from the G3X and visual indicator from the stall vane at the same time.

I just went through this; it's not detailed anywhere, though the Production Acceptance Procedures directs you to set the levels of the alerts for AOA, stall, and other alarms (stall is supposed to be loudest).

With the G3X in configuration mode, you go to the Audio Panel "button"; if you have a GMA 245 audio panel, the stall warning is Aux 1l. Selecting that pops up a slider you can use to adjust the volume. Other volumes, e.g. AOA, have informative labels. My stall was break-your-eardrums loud before adjusting.

--Chris

Back