What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any further information on rudder failure?

FYI, the Canadian data is available upon request. I asked for and received four supplementary reports that contained more photos (most not as useful as the summary photos in the main report) and background info. I did not ask for the flight data specifically, but I don't think having it would add much to the analysis that isn't already known.

http://www.bst-tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/aviation/2010/a10o0018/a10o0018.pdf

I have never read such a through accident report. The US NTSB does not produce anything close to this report.

Thank you for sharing.

Agreed, the US does not typically go very far in terms of accident investigation on sport aviation, experimental, or even certified light aircraft private accidents. Now, conversely, if you read up on any sort of commercial accident, you will see the best accident investigation the world over but it's because of the resources that are applied to it (not just money, but brain resources as a lot of partners are in on the investigation like ALPA, the manufacturers, etc- much harder to rubber stamp something that way and everyone is trying hard to do right because everyone else is looking).

Still, Transport Canada has to be put at a much a higher level than the rest based on this type of investigation "where few are looking" and it's easy to just say "pilot lost directional control and impacted terrain with fatal results" as they so often do.

There are many hints and whispers of a lot of information in this report and sadly it will likely happen again based on the sometimes transient, part time nature of at least half of sport aviation... (This is not an insult on sport aviation, rather a reality of it).

Still, Transport Canada has to be put at a much a higher level than the rest based on this type of investigation "where few are looking" and it's easy to just say "pilot lost directional control and impacted terrain with fatal results" as they so often do.
To be fair, the TSB does frequently issue results that are little more than that. The level of detail applied is totally determined by the workload at the time. If there have been no major commercial incidents that need investigating, they'll take the time on an amateur-built. They're understaffed and underfunded to tackle every accident that (unfortunately) happens.

I suspect this is no different than the NTSB, but I haven't heard anyone there say so.

Back