What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any builders in/around Chapel Hill, NC?

ncflyguy

I'm New Here
Hello! Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. Was wondering if there are any builders in or around Chapel Hill, NC who would be interested in letting me come and look at their build and ask really stupid questions for a while. I'm interested in building an RV-8, but I have never actually seen an RV up close. Thanks!

KTTA (aka Raleigh Executive Jet Port) has about 10 RV's of different models hangared on the field.

There is a new "RV" completion center also at KTTA. It is owned and run by Terry Gardner (919.291.4408). There is an RV-9 under construction there. A formal name has not been established yet, but it now occupies the old "B Bar D" building, located next to the Wings of Carolina Club.

Our EAA Chapter 1114 has 3 or 4 RV-10's under construction located in Syler City and Apex. For chapter details, find us on the web. We meet in Apex at Cox Field.

I keep my RV at Burlington during the week (IGX NFW :mad:). There is at least one project under way at the Duchy although I don't know the gents name unfortunately.

Hey guys, thanks for all the info! I've been reading about Chapter 1114 for a while and I think I will try to make it to one of their meetings. It's just a bit intimidating, being inexperienced and an outsider, and going to a big meeting with a bunch of people who have probably known each other for years and have infinitely more experience than me. I expect that they will pretty much be speaking a different language, but I'm sure there's no better place to learn than an environment like that.

Last edited:
Please do not feel intimidated by our chapter (1114). We are a very warm, friendly, and embracing organization. If you have an interest in aviation, you are already one of us.

Our meetings are held the third Saturday (except for 5/21/2016) of each month. We serve bacon, eggs, sausage, hot cakes, grits, coffe, etc. from 8am to 9 am. Followed by a program of some sort. We have 140 or so active members, and usually have 100 or so for breakfast. Greeters are at the door and you will not feel lost, ignored, or not welcomed. Hope to see you soon.

I just wanted to bump this one last time, because I'm bored and would really love to learn more about the build process in a smaller setting. The ~400 views on this thread make me hopeful that there is someone in the area who has been lurking but hadn't replied yet. I do hope to make it to this month's 1114 meeting, but I might be on call and have to miss it for that reason. My schedule is really erratic due to medical school, but believe it or not I often have big chunks of free time and would love to learn a bit and/or help out on a project if there is anyone nearby who is open to talking a newbie under their wing!

I am going to be at SCR next thursday-saturday or Sunday visiting family. I'm sure I could find time to meet you and show you my newly finished 9A and go for a ride if you want.

My parents just moved to chapel hill and my sister in law just started her residency at UNC. Her and my wife are both Tar Heels...

Chris

Last edited:
yep, there's at least one

hey flyguy

I live in Carrboro (the cool town next to CH) and keep a -6A at Siler City. I'm in the throes of an annual right now so if you'd like to see a nekkid RV I'd be pleased to show you. Can't keep the bird at IGX 'cause there's no hangars.

Hey guys, thank you so much for your responses! I will send each of you a PM shortly to coordinate. Can't wait to meet you!

8A7 near INT

Keep in mind, we have 8 RV's and a Rocket at 8A7. -4's,-8's,-9s,-6's ,-7 and an F1. Its a little farther, but we are pretty active. I live on the airport if your ever out this way.

Hey gang,
Just wanted to say thanks to RobertD and John G for showing me their planes last weekend! Preview plans are ordered and I'm hoping to order tools and build some work benches here in the next couple weeks. I am gonna be at the EAA 1114 meeting this weekend, so if you see a comically tall young dude wandering around looking lost, come over and say hello and share some of your wisdom with me!

Back