What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another starter question

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
Question is about fit, not which to pick.....

I have the stock Skytec lightweight starter. I am thinking of what to put on if it fails or if I want a better starter. Two choices:

B&C BCS206
Skytec 149-NL

My snorkel is per Van's drawings, and I have the usual plane power alternator on the right side.

For each of these two choices, what modifications to engine, snorkel and/or alternator mount is required?

When my LS starter failed (new IO-360-M1B) Lycoming sent me a 149-NL to try. It does not fit with the snorkel.

I can report that once I replaced the China made LS starter solenoid with another China made solenoid via Amazon the problem went away.

Amazon lists this part as “Standard Motor Products SS754 Starter Solenoid”.

I do not know about the fit with the B&C starter.

Carl

As Carl said, I understand the 149NL does not fit directly, but will fit if one lug is removed. There has been discussion of this on the forum in the past. I also understand the NL starter is “better” than the kit supplied light weight starter. ;)

B&C

When shopping for our Zenith 801 project, we discovered that the B&C BCS206 starter isn't currently available, and the waiting time appears to be long. We went with the 149-NL.

Question is about fit, not which to pick.....

I have the stock Skytec lightweight starter. I am thinking of what to put on if it fails or if I want a better starter. Two choices:

B&C BCS206
Skytec 149-NL

My snorkel is per Van's drawings, and I have the usual plane power alternator on the right side.

For each of these two choices, what modifications to engine, snorkel and/or alternator mount is required?

And some research suggests the B&C would require snorkel mods and I don't feel like reworking that.....

I replaced my lightweight Skytec with the 149NL and never an issue since. The NL does not need any snorkel mods and as mentioned an extra lug needs to be ground off but the documentation from Skytec says doing that does not affect the warranty.

I replaced my lightweight Skytec with the 149NL and never an issue since. The NL does not need any snorkel mods and as mentioned an extra lug needs to be ground off but the documentation from Skytec says doing that does not affect the warranty.

My RV-14A has a 149NL installed - lug removed. I modified the snorkel slightly for mixture linkage, but after changing the linkage later, the mod was not needed. However, my understanding is that the EXP119 snorkel would require more significant mods.

I now have a Skytec 149-NL in hand. It is much longer than the LS and extends aft to the area where the fire sleeved fuel line runs left to right from the red cube over the throttle body. There is slack in that hose and I can push it up but the hose will forever rest on the starter body if I install this starter.

Edit: it is a 210hp 390 with an FM 150

Is there anything needed to mitigate chafing or does the firesleeve do that well enough that it isn’t really a problem. There is nowhere else to route that fuel line.

It also seems that I will have to take the snorkel off to make the change. Is that so? Definitely will need to loosen up and readjust the alternator since the linkage across to the starter has to be taken off the old starter.

Did anyone change this with the snorkel in place?

Last edited:
Back