What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another Red Cube Question - 0.0 GPH

Dad's RV-10

Well Known Member
I have a new-to-me RV-7 I've only flown a few hours. Yesterday, I flew to a nearby airport and FF/GPH functioned fine. I shut down for a while and when I restarted, the FF indication showed 0.0 GPH (not a red X).

I brought the data card home (non-touch G3X/GEA 24) and verified in the data log that FF functioned from start-up to shut down on the first leg but recorded 0.0 from start-up to shut down on the second leg.

Since it's recording and indicating data, I don't believe it's a bad connection. I'd like to diagnose rather than throw parts at a problem.

Any suggestions on how to approach this?

I have a new-to-me RV-7 I've only flown a few hours. Yesterday, I flew to a nearby airport and FF/GPH functioned fine. I shut down for a while and when I restarted, the FF indication showed 0.0 GPH (not a red X).

I brought the data card home (non-touch G3X/GEA 24) and verified in the data log that FF functioned from start-up to shut down on the first leg but recorded 0.0 from start-up to shut down on the second leg.

Since it's recording and indicating data, I don't believe it's a bad connection. I'd like to diagnose rather than throw parts at a problem.

Any suggestions on how to approach this?

You might try flying a bit more. I had this exact problem a couple of weeks ago. It has been reliable as of late but I'm expecting to have to replace it soon.

It's pretty dang common to have to replace these things unfortunately.

If it continues, Change to Omega connectors for less than $20. Still continues, buy a new RedCube for less than $250. How much time u going to waste otherwise?

fwiw , the instructions on my flight data[driven by a red cube] says that fuel used will reset each time power is interrupted.
i use the fuel remaining. when i fillup i reset fuel remaining to tank capacity.

Plenty of reports of failed Red Cubes. They seem to be a bit sensitive to mounting location. My advice is to buy a new one, send the old one back to EI for a flat repair and keep it on the shelf for when the new one fails.

I replaced the Red Cube with a new one. Fuel flow indication has returned. I removed the old Molex connector and replaced it with a Deutsch connector style as well.

I backflushed the old transducer with carb cleaner into a white paper towel. Nothing of note came out. I blew through it and could hear and see the wheel spin. As far as I know, it was original to the plane (10 years and 800ish hours).

Incidentally, I ordered two new AN816-4-4 fittings from Spruce with the new transducer. I was surprised to see that the new fitting had a larger orifice than the old fitting. Both are steel.

I installed the new fittings into the FT-60 with Loctite 567.

AN Fitting (1).jpg AN Fitting (2).jpg

....I installed the new fittings into the FT-60 with Loctite 567.

I have had erratic flow readings for some time as well. My new FT-60 arrived last week, but I haven't installed it yet... maybe this weekend. I see you used Loctite 567 on the fittings... I don't have the instructions with me right now, but I think I remember reading that teflon tape or pipe dope could be used. Is there any reason not to use teflon tape?

Back