What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Amazing Dynon SkyView Transponder

N941WR

Legacy Member
I recently took the plane in for its transponder checkup.

The avionics shop was stunned at how accurate the SkyView transponder was in all their tests.

I was in and out of the shop within 20 minutes and that included putting the check sticker in my logbook.

No adjustments, no fiddling around (Other than setting the SkyView to turn on the transponder while I was on the ground.), nothing. We just ran through the codes and all was good.

God to know i just committed to the low power 262 for my RV 7.

wont need ADSB

The good news is, should you ever need to add ADS-B, it is fairly easy and inexpensive to do. Finding a location to mount the box is probably the biggest issue.

Just to be clear, you don't need the ADS-B in box to be legal after 2020. Only the out equipment.

Likewise, you don't need ADS-B out to get some of the benefits of ADS-B in. A $150 pingBuddy and a tablet will do that.

Dave

The avionics shop was stunned at how accurate the SkyView transponder was in all their tests.

Same here, Bill. After I installed the 261 and flew to the shop to have it tested, they commented on the power output and frequency stability.

Just to be clear, you don't need the ADS-B in box to be legal after 2020. Only the out equipment.

Likewise, you don't need ADS-B out to get some of the benefits of ADS-B in. A $150 pingBuddy and a tablet will do that.

Dave

Yes, but...

If you are based inside a mode Mode C veil or or want to venture through one after 2020, you will need ADS-B out and with a Skyview system, it is only $995 for the module, $590 for the GPS receiver, plus a $29 antenna and cable.

RV's are made to travel and going around a Mode C veil is a pain when you can go over, through, or under with ADS-B.

What's the $995 module?

That's Dynon's ADSB-in box, which is not required on 2020. But if you're equipping for -out may as well spend another $1K to get some benefit.

BTW, for comparison, GRT offers: basically the same transponder (modified control head Trig TT22) for the same price as Dynon; approved gps source for $100 less; a number of choices for ADSB-in which are all less than $995.

Back