What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator Help

Tucson Al

I am leaving for Oshkosh Saturday morning. This morning I took one last flight to make sure my RV10 was ready. just after takeoff the alternator went off line. I cycled the alternator off and back on. it came back online and I flew for another 30 minutes with no issues.

Now however I am feeling great about leaving on a 1200 mile trip. I am, of course, concerned about getting stuck in the middle of no where.

My question is: Is there an automotive alternator that I can buy at Autozone that I can use to get out of trouble?

Short answer is yes; if your current unit is internally regulated the quick and easy Autozone or O’Reilly replacement would be for a 1987 Suzuki Samurai, Autozone part number 14824 or 14684. The O’Reilly pn is different, but a Suzuki alternator will get you home. And at only 115-ish bucks, it’s a wee bit cheaper than Plane Power types!

Alternator

Do you believe that I could field change it using the same mounting hardware?

Thank you for your response.

That is a tough one. the ND alternators have numerous different spacing arrangements for the two ears. Some can swap easilly with spacers and washers and others cannot. I recommended a buddy to swap his failed PP with a 14158 alternator and he had to get a different bracket to hang it properly. Best bet is to find a site that gives all of the mounting ear dimensions for all of the alternators and find one that matches.

That is a tough one. the ND alternators have numerous different spacing arrangements for the two ears. Some can swap easilly with spacers and washers and others cannot. I recommended a buddy to swap his failed PP with a 14158 alternator and he had to get a different bracket to hang it properly. Best bet is to find a site that gives all of the mounting ear dimensions for all of the alternators and find one that matches.

Larry, I have searched for years and not found an OEM Denso that matches the mounting of the PP EI60 amp (i hope what is what the OP meant). There is a front housing that matches, but the combination of a rear (SRE) housing with no ear at 60 amps is elusive.

A long bolt with a handful of washers and spacers for a custom fit "may"work, but the offset (clocking) of the mount-to-adjustment ear is hard to match. Therefore the adjustment bar, and belt length remain as fitting issues.

IMO repairing the issue is the best bet to travel.

Last edited:
I’m sure you are done with your trip. The Suzuki trick didn’t work for me because the pulley spacing was too long and the bolt holes for mounting were smaller. What did work was replacing the brushes from the Suzuki alternator into the existing alternator and it got me home.

Back