What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator Failure

swjohnsey

Well Known Member
I have an old RV-4 that was built with the alternator from a mid '70s Honda Civic. I replaced it a few years ago but it has failed again and I can't seem to find one. Is there a more current replacement perhaps one with internal voltage regulator that will bolt in place?

Funny story. My RV had an automotive alternator that I bought from Mark Landoll. I was on a X-country a couple of hundred miles from home and in the pattern for my destination, when my alternator failed. I had electronic ignition, so that meant not returning home until it was fixed. On the ground, I removed the alternator and got a ride to the nearby autoparts store with the alternator. They tested it, confirmed dead. Now for the replacement. They asked, what car it was from. I had no idea and asked if he could help find one similar. I just knew it was 60 amp. The guy eyeballed it, and went searching on the shelves. Came up with on that looked identical and was 60amp rated. Sold. He said it was for a Suzuki.

I might suggest you go in with your alternator and start with Suzuki.

Alternator

I have an 0-320 on my 7A.

Here's what I use and it's nearly a slip in replacement. The hole that mounts to the adjusting bracket always has to be reemed a bit but that's all. Mine is 55A internal voltage regulated. I've had two alt failures over the years. I have two blast tubes one on the rear of the alt and one on the front. Another thing I did was not to tighten up the belt too tight. Tight enough that it wont't slip but nothing more. I'm hoping this will help them to last longer.

lester number 14684
Suzuki Sameri 86-95
O'rillys part number R111413A...(or B both worked)
auto zone part number 14824

Last edited:
I have an old RV-4 that was built with the alternator from a mid '70s Honda Civic. I replaced it a few years ago but it has failed again and I can't seem to find one. Is there a more current replacement perhaps one with internal voltage regulator that will bolt in place?

Your alternator is a 14184, 1977 Honda Civic CVCC, no air conditioning. Do a Google search....I quickly found it available at AutoZone, Advance Auto and Rock Auto.

Back