What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alignment Problem Lateral Hinge RV7A

Tcheairs

Well Known Member
Removed and reinstalled lower cowlings recently on my RV7A. While removed both upper and lower cowlings were stored upside down on furniture pads on my work bench.

After installing the lower cowling and upon attempts to reinstall the upper cowling, I find that the lateral upper (side) eyelets of the lower cowling will not align due to the fact that the lower cowling top edge is slightly concave (bent inward). There is no way that I can find to "pull" the lower lateral edge of the cowling out so that the eyelets align with the upper cowl allowing me to insert the lateral pins. I've tried suction cups like the ones used in hanging shower hooks and hangers, but the suction won't adhere to the fiberglass well enough for me to pull the lower eyelets into alignment. I considered trying to "bend" the lower eyelet rack outward slightly but I'm afraid that I might damage the lower cowling itself. Something has apparently changed with the re installation of the lower cowling, however all of the pins re inserted with ease.

Seems that the only possible solution would be to install something to pull with on the lower cowling by drilling (heaven forbid) and attaching something to grab hold of and pull outward..HELP!

I'll try to take a photo and post if if this description of the issue is confusing

How about putting the upper and lower cowlings together off the airplane where you can reach inside to align the hinges. Let it sit on the floor, firewall side down, for a few days and see if the fit restores. Maybe even apply a little heat while in this state.

Back