What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Akzo as exterior primer?

maniago

Well Known Member
I asked this qu a few years ago, but no joy, so as a redo....

"Anyone used this particular Akzo primer (463-12-8) as an exterior primer in their final paint/topcoat system? What is it compatible with? Even in the Akzo line, I couldnt find where its called out as part of a system they provide."

-----
I'm looking at first flight next summer so would like to prime first and Akzo is so easy to lay, bullet proof once on.....to be able to put PPG (something compatible with epoxy primers) over it and stick, I'd call that a win.....

Anyone?

The important bit is primer/topcoat compatibility. I would not prime the outside until you know for certain what the topcoat will be, and have checked with the topcoat manufacturer on compatibility.

It's my understanding that paint shops will not warranty their work if they spray over a primer that they did not spray themselves, so you may end up with the extra weight of two coats of primer under your topcoat if you decide to use a paint shop instead of doing it yourself.

..............so you may end up with the extra weight of two coats of primer under your topcoat if you decide to use a paint shop instead of doing it yourself.

Thanks. Theres no doubt I'll shoot it myself....paintbooth, as well as some other niceties, are planned for my new hangar......

One question. Are you planning on applying the primer followed shortly by the top coat or is the idea to prime during construction and then down the road apply the top coat when the aircraft is complete? I ask because many primers have a preferred window the manufacturer wants a top coat applied to take the most advantage of top coat adhering to the underlaying primer.
Something to think about.

One question. Are you planning on applying the primer followed shortly by the top coat or is the idea to prime during construction and then down the road apply the top coat when the aircraft is complete? I ask because many primers have a preferred window the manufacturer wants a top coat applied to take the most advantage of top coat adhering to the underlaying primer.
Something to think about.

Good qu. I've used Akzo exclusively on the interior and thats it there - its been wicked tough, so all I was thinking was to prime the exterior with it so it had something on it vs bare AL and go fly for a long time....then maybe finish it off later.....years later probably.

Back