What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airport Recommendations around St Louis (IL side)

mbert

I am moving to St Louis area for work on the Illinois side this winter and plan to live near O’Fallon, IL for probably the next five years or so and am looking for RV friendly airports in the area. If you have any airport recommendations to hangar my RV4 that would be much appreciated. I am also interested in any EAA chapters or RV groups in the area to make new flying friends. I have been considering IL48 Schafer Field as a close by option and would appreciate any feedback on the airport and staff.

KGRE

You might try KGRE (Greenville)...I was there for 10 years and moved 50 miles south to KPJY because it was closer to my house, but still go to KGRE regularly. The have a very active pilots association with several social and aviation activities throughout the year. There is a popular parachuting operation based there (very nice people), which helps keep the airspace hopping at times, but still easy to use. Hangars take a while to get, but they are building another new community hangar at this time. It's probably one of the nicest and most active small airports in the south half of the state. A little farther from O'fallon than Schafer for sure, but you might give it a look. Just my 0.02.

Troy Airpark

Good evening,
We have a great Airpark in Troy Missouri named Troy Airpark, 2200 paved strip along with grass strip that parallel to paved runway. There are some some lots available if you re interested. Thanks Mike Bradsher

Brian and Mike thank you for your recommendations! Much appreciated I will give both airports a look.

Check out Litchfield, IL. Not sure if they have hangar space, but it is a good community from what I’ve heard. I don’t live there, but have flown in a number of times to visit family.
3LF

I don't think we have a bad airport here, so I'd go for wherever you can find some hangar space. I'm based at KCPS. It is a really nice airport, though the size makes it a bit less social than I'd prefer.

The "Eastside" EAA chapter 64 is based at 1IL4. It's an ok chapter that is really focused on Young Eagles. There is also one based at KALN that I've met some people from, but don't know much about. Finally EAA 32 over in MO (KSET) is an excellent chapter.

Doug and Ben thanks for your info and recommendations! All good news, I am looking forward to moving to the area.

Was perusing the site and saw your post. I’m based at KSAR, Sparta,IL. Can’t brag enough about the management and personnel. Great facility. There are currently 3 rv’s hangared there. Mine is one of them, a 9A. I suggest you check it out. Even if you’re based somewhere else, stop by!

Back