What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

After Engine Overhaul then Phase I testing?

mbert

After an engine overhaul is accomplished and the engine is re-installed on the aircraft with the same engine and prop configuration previously installed on an already flying RV should the aircraft be returned to Phase I testing for a 40 hour period or does it fall under the less restrictive 5 hour Phase I testing period. Obviously a period for cylinder break in will be required.

The question is if an overhaul is defined as a “major change”. After reviewing the FAR it’s not exactly clear to me. So I’m looking for guidance.

Thanks for any help/advice.

My operating limits states this:

After incorporating a major change as described in § 21.93, the aircraftowner is required to reestablishcompliance with § 91.319(b) and notify the geographically responsible FSDO of the location of the proposed test area. The aircraft owner must obtain concurrence from the FSDO as to the suitability of the proposed test area. If the major change includes installing a different type of engine (reciprocating to turbine) or a change of a fixed-pitch from or to a controllable propeller, the aircraft owner must fill out a revised FAA Form 8130-6 to update the aircraft's file in the FAA Aircraft Registration Branch, AFS-750. All operations must be conducted under day visual flight r u l e s( V R ) conditions over a sparselvpopulatedareaincompliancewith§91.305. Theaircraftmustremaininflighttestforaminimumof5hours.
The FSDO may require addition time (more than 5 hours depending on the extent of the modification. Persons nonessential to theflight must not be carried. The aircraft owner must make an aircraft maintenance record entry describing thechange before the test flight. Following satisfactory completion of the required numberof flight hours in theflight test area, the pilot must certify in therecords that the aircraft has been shown to comply with § 91.319(6). Compliance with § 91.319(6) must be recorded in the maintenance records with the following, or asimilarly worded statement: "I certify that the prescribed flighttest hours have been completed and the aircraft is controllable throughout its normal range of speeds and throughout all maneuvers to be executed, has no hazardous characteristics or design features, and is safe for operation." (23)

That’s not a major change. It is an engine overhaul. In fact if you over haul your engine and get said engine back most of the parts will still be the parts you sent in if they are serviceable.

It’s maintenance - not a change. Break the engine in properly in a way in which you’re comfortable and the FAA has nothing to do with it…

Back