What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerocruze 100 AP in RV10 issue

I recently bought an RV10 and the previous owner said he had some issues sometimes with the AP. Here is what I noticed today and could use any advise.

Set the altimeter in the Aerocruze on the ground.
Took off and engaged the autopilot about 3500’.
It worked fine for a few minutes the start a gradual climb even though it was in Alt Hld. Disconnected and got back to the assigned altitude.
I checked the altimeter at it showed 14,500’. I changed it back to my current altitude.
Activated the AP again and set altitude hold. With in a few minutes the plane started climbing again. I noticed on the AP it should a new altitude of 57.500’. Disconnected again, cycled the AP power source.
Tried it again, set the correct altimeter, held fine for a few then, it showed 53,000’

Any ideas or suggestions?

I recently bought an RV10 and the previous owner said he had some issues sometimes with the AP. Here is what I noticed today and could use any advise.

Set the altimeter in the Aerocruze on the ground.
Took off and engaged the autopilot about 3500’.
It worked fine for a few minutes the start a gradual climb even though it was in Alt Hld. Disconnected and got back to the assigned altitude.
I checked the altimeter at it showed 14,500’. I changed it back to my current altitude.
Activated the AP again and set altitude hold. With in a few minutes the plane started climbing again. I noticed on the AP it should a new altitude of 57.500’. Disconnected again, cycled the AP power source.
Tried it again, set the correct altimeter, held fine for a few then, it showed 53,000’

Any ideas or suggestions?

Have you validated that you don’t have a static leak?

What if anything is the AP connected to, the TruTrak/Aerocruze can be connected to external sources that set the baro altitude like the GRT, G5, AV30, or Dynon. Might be an area to check.
Figs

I am not a GRT expert but my buddy controls his vizion AP (same basic AP) via the GRT not the AP head.

If the set altitude on the control head is changing, then either the control head is bad, or it is getting bad data from the GRT. My Aerocruz is connected to a G5, and it works fine following the heading bug (if the Nav source switch is set to the G5 instead of the GTN650). I don't know what the GRT is supposed to pass on to the A/P.

Without a wiring diagram, it isn't possible to diagnose any further than that.

ARINC Speed

I had similar problems with a follow-on model, the xCruze 110. Turns out I set the ARINC In and Out speeds to High based on some literature from another vendor. I changed the speeds to Low on the sending/receiving device (GNS 480) after communicating with TruTrak/Bendix King and the problem was solved.

Back