What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advice & words of wisdom for a new RV-7A owner

jaydenchow

I'm New Here
Hi All,

Looking for some advice and or words of wisdom or something you wish you had known before you bought (or started flying) your RV7. Just some background, I am coming out of an RV12iS partnership and my co-owner in the 7A has never owned a plane before.

Thanks in advance!

1. Immerse yourself in the airplane, get knowledgeable and comfortable with all of the aircraft's systems; Propeller, Engine, Fuel, Ignition, Controls, Avionics, Electrical, Structures, etc. Obtain a copy of the plans, builders manual, supporting documentation. You basically want to create the NATOPS manual for the RV-7; There will be a test in the morning :)

2. Practice - all flight regimes, all possible configurations (heavy, light GW, fore, aft CG, emergencies, dead stick, no prop, flat tire, etc.)

Hi All,

Looking for some advice and or words of wisdom or something you wish you had known before you bought (or started flying) your RV7. Just some background, I am coming out of an RV12iS partnership and my co-owner in the 7A has never owned a plane before.

Thanks in advance!
When the condition inspection comes due, find an A&P that knows RV’s and that will allow you to do an owner assist condition inspection so you can learn more about your aircraft.

Hi All,

Thanks in advance!
The 7A is acrobatic and has a higher wing loading so it does not glide like the 9 or 12. I built and owned both before building my 7A and was very used to their flying characteristic. Essentially every landing was full power off with the longer wing planes. I could not do that with the 7 with a CS prop. Use a bit of power for a shallower descent. Never got comfortable or consistent enough for short/soft fields like I was with the 9 and 12.

Hi All,

Thanks in advance!

1. Get quality transition training. No matter your experience, you’ll learn something.
2. Write or re-write a POH - it will ensure you understand the specific systems in, and performance of, your airplane.
3. Be as hands on with maintence and the annual as your skills and knowledge allow. Find an A&P supportive of this approach.
4. Fly regularly!

pjc

The 7A is acrobatic and has a higher wing loading so it does not glide like the 9 or 12. I built and owned both before building my 7A and was very used to their flying characteristic. Essentially every landing was full power off with the longer wing planes. I could not do that with the 7 with a CS prop. Use a bit of power for a shallower descent. Never got comfortable or consistent enough for short/soft fields like I was with the 9 and 12.
If you are uncomfortable landing power off with a CS prop because of the sink rate, I GUARANTEE that you are a prime candidate for a low pitch stop adjustment.. if it’s a Hartzell, start by removing the spinner, hold the Alen key , loosen the 9/16 nut and give the Alen key 2 and 1/3 turns clockwise to start. Retighten the nut, reinstall the spinner and check your static RPM. Should be about 2650 static. Go fly. It glides SOOOO much better.

2. Write or re-write a POH - it will ensure you understand the specific systems in, and performance of, your airplane.
Great suggestion. I learned a lot by writing a new POH for my -9A. Prompted me to weigh it, also, which was… illuminating.

An RV flies like an RV. Coming from the -12, don’t overthink the basics of flying. Do your required insurance check out, and then expand your comfort zone getting to know your new plane, which is, in fact, heavier and more capable. If you want to do aerobatics, and never have, get more instruction. Otherwise you will first scare the Ess out of yourself, and then you will kill yourself.

You and your co-owner should definitely do owner assisted maintenance and condition inspections, MUCH better than trying to learn about your aircraft systems via some silly internet. Soon enough you will just be flat out doing things, no assistance needed!

And always, grin that RV grin. 😁

Congrats on your new plane and partnership!

Both of you should get some transition training if you haven't already. You may not think you need it, but it isn't just about the flying. During transition training your instructor will likely give you a lot of tips on the ins and outs of an RV-7. Maybe only a few hours will be needed depending on your and your partner's recent flying experience, but get behind a new panel and play with all the bells and whistles.

A transition training instructor should feel pretty comfortable letting you practice simulated engine out patterns. This may not be the best thing to simply practice solo or with your partner. Knowing when it doesn't look right is important for a safe experience.

Unusual attitude recovery training is the minimum aerobatic experience you should get with that new to you 7. Again, an experienced aerobatic instructor should be able to give you good instruction on how to keep the dirty side down. You'll definitely want to do full stalls, steep turns and sometimes the nose can get low and speed build up a lot if the pilot's cross check isn't up to speed.

Definitely fly the Phase 1 task based items to make sure everything is correct on the aircraft. You both are the PICs now, so if there are any issues they are yours. Big things are fuel flow calibration if it has that feature, getting used to the new sticks, stall speed of the 7 and different feel.

If you don't already have an RV friendly A&P you know, get with one for the first oil change. You and your partner will do well to help or at least watch closely as the cowl is removed, oil is changed and refilled, filter is safety wired, etc. Checking everything under the cowl is very important every time it is off as well. Doing the next oil change on your own or with your partner should then be no problem. This is mostly for the benefit of your buddy who hasn't owned a plane. You both need to agree on maintenance so you both feel safe flying it.

Air pressure needs to be decided between the two of you. How much is going to be in the tires? How are you going to check it? Look at the tire tread touching the floor in the hangar? Get to the valve stem and check it with a gauge? Take off the front the wheel pant? Unless you have a personal caretaker the both of you will need to work these things out as you fly the plane regularly throughout the year.

Double check the documents in the airplane. Both of you should know where the Airworthiness, Registration, W&B and Ops Limits are located in the aircraft. Documentation just needs to be organized so your A&P will have an easy time seeing that you've complied with all Van's service bulletins, done your pitot static check if IFR, ELT battery service dates and the rest of the previous owner's maintenance. It's now your job to make sure eveything is up to date and suitable for flight.

Enjoy! Hopefully you enjoy all aspects of owning an experimental, I know it's part of the joy I get out of maintaining and keeping things tidy on my second hand RV-7.

I recommend you and your partner get some dual from an experienced CFI and RV transition instructor.* I do this training, but you are in California, I'm in TN.

There are approved instructors on Van's website. To get on Van's list of approved Instructors, you have to fly with Mike Seager. You also have to own a flying RV to give instruction in. You could reach out to one of these Van's instructors (recommended but independent).

Then there are people like me, flying RV's +30 yrs, +1000's of hours in RV's (CFI, II, ME, ATP). I am not teaching in my plane at this time, so not on Van's list. However I can and do instruct RV pilot/owners in their plane. I am not soliciting my services, but if we were not 1500 miles apart I'd be happy to fly with you guys. If you elect to get an instructor Van's recommended or CFI not on their list, make sure they have significant RV time in RV6A or RV7A. There is the option of finding a current RV7A owner and flying with them... but CFI logged dual has value.*

RV's are not hard to fly but must have extreme respect and competency. If a pilot can fly a C172, Cherokee, Mooney, Bonanza like boss has great airmanship, handles cross wind landings competently, the transition is easy. Pilots that are barely getting by in a Skyhawk could be really marginal in an RV by the fact it is faster and gear is not as robust. Gear btw is sufficient, but nose gear is known, not be tolerant of abuse or rough soft fields.... Van redesigned the nose gear and is slightly better... Point don't land on nose, don't bounce, go around if you bounce... Practice balked landing. Practice speed control.

Maintenance, you can do a significant amount but will need an A&P to sign off condition inspection (12 mo). You don't need an IA (inspector authorization) like certified planes require for annual inspections.

* Insurance is another issue. I know people are getting really reamed, Many will not insure kit planes, low time pilots, pilots over 69.... etc. Some are not getting hull because premiums have gone way up... If you are insuring the hull it is almost a given they want time in type and typically request you get 5 to 10 hours dual.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Thanks in advance!
Treat your canopy like it’s waiting for you to break it. Install canopy guides asap if you don’t have them already. Don’t let anyone (outside of experienced RV’ers) but you open and close it and don’t move the plane w the canopy open if it’s a tip up.

Be sure you understand how to fly the airplane to the ground WITHOUT the nosegear being on the ground. As Van says, the nosegear is only to keep the nose off the ground when stopped or taxiing. Just pretend it has no nosewheel. There have been numerous accidents from low time pilots of RV-A aircraft doing three point landings at high speed only to have the nosegear fold up or developing huge shimmy resulting in failure of the gear. Also be sure the bearing preloadd is correct on the nosegear, if it too tight, the friction on landing will cause the nosegear to try to fold under, especially if landing fast and nose is lowered at that speed.

Get a good iPad and download into “Books“ pdfs of all your avionics installation and user manuals, engine manual, FAA AIM, FAA Aviation Technician Handbook - Powerplant Volume 1, FAA Aviation Technician Handbook - Airframe Volume 2, and the FAA Aviation Technician Handbook - General. These documents are available online from the manufacture and goverment. Once you’ve created a good POH print a pdf document of it and store it in Books on your iPad. What you want is a good library that’s applicable to your airplane where you can research questions as you think of them.

Create a Quick Reference Inflight Checklist and an Emergency Procedures checklist - laminate both of them (Office Depot) for use inflight. You might consider doing the same for a Passenger Briefing Guide.

What you want is quick access to important information when you need it - without cluttering up your cockpit.

Watch the EAA Webinar- Critical RV Flying Skills, this link might work: https://www.eaa.org/videos/6155295734001

If the nose wheel and axle are stock do one of these three things to make sure your nose wheel can turn easily:
1 - replace the axle with the matco axle that allows tensioning the bearings separately from securing the wheel: https://matcoals.com/product/axle-assembly-a24-1-25-inch/
2 - send your nose wheel to Antisplat Aero and have them do their bearing modification, see https://antisplataero.com/product/nose-wheel-bearing-mod-rv10-rv14/
3 - instal a Berringer nose wheel, this also allows using a tubeless tire

I suggest getting in the habit of raising your flaps a few degrees after you land and before you or your passenger get out of your plane. This is to prevent the leading edge of a flap from being knocked out from under the wing skin. IF the leading edge of the flap is not under the wing skin when the flaps are retracted the wing skin can be damaged.

Correct. But a more definitive reference now is the revision to Section 15 of the Construction Manuals that occurred in October 2023.
See page 15-23 in the link to Section 15 below.

Note: All Vne speeds are both indicated and true airspeeds (whichever speed is reached first).

Last edited:
Check your W&B, Only one person at a time can board or exit the plane. As you burn fuel CG moves aft, What engine? what prop? Legacy engine mount and nose gear or RV10 style? Get Duel Training in a 7a.

Last edited:
Stay on top of the tire pressure, especially in the mains. Shoot for 50+. If it is a tip up canopy, treat it carefully and replace the gas tension holders as soon as you notice they are getting weak.

Thank you everyone for the advice! Read every comment and will take them all to heart!... minus the ones about CS prop... forgot to mention its a fixed pitch Catto one!

Check your W&B, Only one person at a time can board or exit the plane. As you burn fuel CG moves aft, What engine? what prop? Legacy engine mount and nose gear or RV10 style? Get Duel Training in a 7a.
We have an O-375 with a fixed-pitch catto prop. Anti-splat nose gear!

Get AND READ from front to back the manuals, both installation and user's, for everything on the plane. Don't be "that guy" :).

Back