What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adding crotch/sub belts

CaptJack

How hard is it to add crotch/sub belts to RV7? Hooker Harness 4 point and I have the sub belts. Just need brackets and seat pans don’t have slot. Thanks!

The hardest part is adding the slots to the bottom seat cushions. Actually installing the mounts is pretty easy as long as you have access to an angle drill and there are no wires routed through the space the anchor brackets mount in.

I just did this on an in process kit. If the Hookers are like Crow, The steel tab on the end of the strap that goes in the floor is a different shape and thickness than what comes from Vans. This causes the tab to sit too high if you use Vans pilot hole locations. You'll need to either drill a new hole in the tab if it's big enough to accommodate one or a different hole location in the structure that goes under the floor.

I think that you may have to space the two plates of the underfloor structure that the bolt hoes through a little further apart to accommodate the thicker tab as well.

Not a big job, but a 90* drill motor and a pop rivet puller with a small snout are must haves.

Like Scott said. Trickiest part may be modifying your seat bottom cushion to accommodate the crotch strap. I installed a new 5-point Crow belt in the front seat of my-4 this summer. The attach bracket was no-brainer easy. I taped off and marked my seat bottom and took it to an auto upholstery guy I used when I built my RV6 many years ago. At first he said it would take him a day or two and cost about $200. It ended up taking about three weeks - I think he forgot about it. He felt bad about the delay and charged me $50. Well worth the wait. I had a temporary seat cushion made out of some on hand foam, so I didn’t miss any flying. This is something you can do yourself if you have the right kind of machine, or are good at hand stitching. Cutting the foam cushions is easy with a sharp knife.

Back