What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

About those gear towers. . . .

StuBob

Well Known Member
Before the question, consider the source; I'm at the built-the-EAA-table-ordered-the-practice-kit stage. But. . . .

Are the -8 gear towers a real ergonomic/comfort issue or are they just so much Internet claptrap? If it matters, I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam. [185#, brown hair, blue eyes, like sunsets, puppies, and long walks. . . .]

I flew an 8A and liked it a LOT. Also flew a 7A and thought the shoulder room was tight. Looking around, I can't seem to find an 8 close by. If you know of one reasonably close to Indianapolis, that would be helpful.

Hey Stuart,

I built both the 8 and 8A. Both very comfortable and had no comfort issue with the gear towers on the 8. I am 5-11, 235.

After a couple thousand hours in the 8, I have never considered the gear towers to be an ergonomic problem during flight. Others at 6'4" and 300+ pounds have similar experiences.

RV 8's at 3EV

Stu, Two RV8s at Skylane airport (3EV) Evansville, IN. I'm sure we can arrange you a ride. The problem is now (Winter Time) Skylane's grass runway gets really wet. Anytime you want to ride in the RV8A again come on down to HNB.
Squeak

Thanks, guys.

It isn't clear from photos where the towers are in relation to the pilot's legs, so I wondered if they dug into his calves or something. I was concerned that shorter legs, being straighter in the cockpit, might present more of a problem.

I've seen complaints about the much-shorter "towers" in the -7A, but I know from experience they're no big deal. It's good to hear the same about the -8.

Thanks again.

Still interested in seeing a completed -8 in central Indiana!

Stu, I'm the same size as you. Got 600 hours in my 2 8's. Comfort has never been a problem. I've got pictures handy here on my computer of the gear towers if you like, but still don't know how to post pictures here on VAF. Or on PM's either. What you "do" want and not mentioned here is adjustable rudder pedals. Some 8's don't have them. If I wear my chute, I've got to slide my rudder pedals back by 2 clicks. I'd send you the pics, but I see you're not taking private emails.

If you like, shoot me your email to [email protected], and I'll send them to you. :)

ergonomics of RV8 gear towers

The ergonomic issue with the gear towers is not cockpit room for the pilot's legs.

The ergonomic issue is the trauma to the builder/mechanic that has to reach inside them to work in there. That is why the very common mod of making a major portion of the inboard face of the tower removable.

Inside the tower are brake line vents, electrical wiring, and throttle/mixture/prop control cables. And of course, the gear retention bolts.

Generally it is the torquing of the gear nuts that sheds the most blood.

Back